AEW projects from MPA platforms.

Started by McColm, July 17, 2010, 06:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on August 31, 2010, 04:57:56 AM
I've fallen for buying two of the same kit, so my spares box keeps getting bigger.

That way lies madness.........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

DarrenP

Canadian AEW platform based on the Canadair CL 28 Argus or british MPA/AEW based on the Britania

Captain Canada

Tha Argus one would make sense. Had a long range but it would need pressurization to get up there, which I'm sure would have been easy enough.

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Not the Argus, but the Yukon or CL-44.  Both were pressurized.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

The Bristol Brabazon would have been a great platform if fitted with the right engines, only to be beaten by the Comet in design.

Rheged

Quote from: McColm on January 19, 2015, 08:59:06 PM
The Bristol Brabazon would have been a great platform if fitted with the right engines, only to be beaten by the Comet in design.

From what I've read about the Brabazon, there would have been plenty of space for all sorts of kit, and probably enough spare room for the crew Morris Dance side to practice too.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

The Brabazon II was fitted with the right engines, Bristol Proteuses (Proteii?) but it was never finished. There are pics of both aircraft parked outside the big hangar at Filton, but darned if I can find any just now.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 20, 2015, 03:14:46 AM

The Brabazon II was fitted with the right engines, Bristol Proteuses (Proteii?) but it was never finished. There are pics of both aircraft parked outside the big hangar at Filton, but darned if I can find any just now.

From Wikipedia (slight editing performed but otherwise verbatim)

Mark II
In 1946 it was decided to build the second prototype using eight Bristol Coupled Proteus turboprop engines - paired turboprops driving 4-bladed screws through a common gearbox. This would increase cruising speed, from 260 to 330 mph (420–530 km/h), and ceiling, while reducing the empty weight by about 10,000 lb (4,540 kg). This Brabazon Mark II would have been able to cross the Atlantic (London-New York) in a reduced time of 12 hours.
Although the Proteus was slimmer than the Centaurus, the wing thickness was not to be reduced in the Mark II but the leading edge would be extended around the engines.
Changes to the wheel arrangement planned for the Mark II would have allowed it to use most runways on both the North Atlantic and Empire routes.

Cancellation
By 1952, about £3.4 million had been spent on development and there were no signs of purchase by any airline. In March, the British government announced that work on the second prototype had been postponed. The cancellation of the project was announced by the Minister for Supply (Duncan Sandys) on 17 July 1953 in the Commons saying it had given all the useful technical knowledge it could but with no interest from civil or military users, they had no justification for continuing to spend money on it. About £6 million had been spent and a further £2 million would be required to complete the Mark II. In October 1953, after 164 flights totalling 382 hours flying time, the first prototype was broken up, sold for £10,000 in scrap value, along with the uncompleted Mk.II prototype. All that remains are a few parts at the M Shed museum in Bristol and Scotland's National Museum of Flight.

Sounds really interesting, would love to see the picture with both aircraft Kit.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Hannants sell the AModel in 1/72 scale, its expensive, retailing at around £378. The was a 1/144 kit  as well, but this is no longer in production, made by F-RSN.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on January 20, 2015, 03:30:49 AM
Sounds really interesting, would love to see the picture with both aircraft Kit.

It's in a book I have somewhere, it shows the Mk 1 right outside the hangar doors and the Mk IIs fuselage and inner wings parked in front of it. Apparently they were both on their way to be scrapped.

Try as I might I can't find it on the net anywhere.  :banghead:

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Got a book called 'Brabazon - The World's First Jumbo Airliner' which shows a photo of the un-completed Mk.II and then another where the Mk.I is being broken up and the Mk.II waiting it's turn. The caption says they're in the 'West Wing' of the big hanger.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike