Spoon's Delight La-7

Started by Shasper, July 17, 2010, 07:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasper

Hiya Fellas,

Since this build snuck up on me in the midst of medical frustrations, I'm not totally sure if I'll finish . . . But We'll see how well the boat floats  :thumbsup:

My build ideas are based on a couple of the easy build kits that have taken the market in recent years:

Not sure about how Whiffy the La-7 will be as the scheme I have in mind (overall white with red arrows down both sides of the fuselage) was worn by a MiG-3 or a Yak iirc. This one will be for a buddy of mine who came up with a similar scheme for one of the school's C-172's that we used in last year's flight team competition.

We'll see how this goes. . .
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Shasper

Got started on the La-7 earlier this afternoon, I'm really enjoying this lil asian buggar! Haven't decided if I'm gonna go thru the pain of putting the gear up or not yet, but here's where we stand:

- Bud S.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Shasper

Thx T, I'm starting to love these lil buggars!

Here we are as of a few minutes ago, the cowling and upper gun deck are on, and a lil paint to check the seams:

(Ugh, note to self: stop using the iPhone camera!)
- Bud S.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Shasper

Standard Russkie camo white-washed out, with red cowl & tips . . . Nothing too radical, just ripping off some stuff I've seen on wartime MiGs and Yaks ;-)

To simplify things, the bird will be clean . . . trying to pull that off has it's challenges:

I'm trimming up the main gear doors, and I put a small amount of "poster putty" in the wells to position them in place. Should have it all buttoned up by tonight :)
- Bud S.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Shasper

Thx Soto,

Got the first round of PSR done on the main gear doors, and the elevators have been put on . . . Should get some primer on before I head to the clinic tomorrow.
- Bud S.

Shasper

And here she is now:

Got the stabs & intake on, and started filling some gaps with CA. Once I get back from the Doc Fri night I should get the sanding done & start getting the camo on ;)
- Bud S.

Shasper

Got the base camo on:

While not technically accurate, the Dk Ghost Gray/Pale Green over Lt. Ghost Gray will work for my purposes . . . This photo is sponsored by Tamiya ;)
Tomorrow's gonna be a looong day, gotta finish the next phase of painting & weathering on this beaut!
- Bud S.

Shasper

Started painting  over the camo with acrylic flat white. I'm going for a weathered field applied finish with the normal "summer" camo still showing thru:

- Bud S.

Shasper

And it didn't make the deadline . . . Ah well

While waiting for the B-2 to dry I broke this guy out & gave it another coat of white wash, I think it turned out rather well . . . Tomorrow I'll get the cowl & cowl flaps done up and get some future on it before I hafta pack it up for the trip north.

- Bud S.

Shasper

Took longer than a week, but she's finally done:

Used a mix of thinned acrylic black & light gray overall for weathering, a mix of thinned black & jet exhaust for the exaust streaking.

The whole paint job is suppose to simulate a well worn bird on the front that got quickly repainted in winter camo.

I know it's not up to spec for a contest bird, but for my first time actually weathering the whole bird, it looks alright ;)
- Bud S.

DaFROG

Gyarr 'tis a foin build so it be
ahemmm
It is a well put together example of its' type
I myself have just finished building the hobby boss MiG-3 for the Rouge Pirate GBTM with a winter scheme as well.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,29596.msg454037.html#msg454037

I to was impressed buy the level of detail and ease of building offered by these kits... Gyarr 'twas most impressed indeed cough gyarr arrrrghhhh cough.
The MiG-3 was a little lacking in the cockpit department, how does the La7 stack up?...... Gyarrrrrrrrr

DaFROG

Still trying to get over a severe case of piracy Gyarrrrrrr

Shasper

About the same Frog, hardly any details in the cockpit so I said eff it & did another "Blue Canopy of Death" bird ;)

Smokin' good Mig ya got there!

- Bud S.