HobbyBoss TA-7C - Operation Granby FINISHED!

Started by Mossie, July 18, 2010, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

... keep going, you'll crack-it, Simon.  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

Cheers guys!

Nev, ahh, I'm not too worried, like I say, gives me more time to work on it.

Srdjan, There's more than enough nose weight in there, it's sitting quite far forward when I do the balance trick.  For the canopy, I've not gone that far down the grades, although it's the blemish runs quite deep.  I'll maybe give it a try, although I like the idea of adding the tarp.

Ian, yeah, I'm carrying on tonight as I've got a break to let some paint dry.  I might have made it if I hadn't had the earlier problems, but hey ho.  Pics coming up.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

So heres where I was last night, I'd airbrushed a Humbrol 250 base coat. I'm still not used to the airbrush, first coat went on okay, if not perfect.   I always have problems with the second one, maybe because I was running low on paint in the cup.  It went on blotchy with a few runs, but fortunately I didn't need a nice even finish!

Once dry I hit it with Promodeller's Mud Brown wash, then darkened it up with a bit of Black & ran it carefully along the panel lines.  I put some pure black in grilles & such like.  I've heard it said the Humbrol 250 is too dark, but it looked fine when it went on but the washes have darkened it a bit.  I might try some patches of Sand with Light Dirt to tone it down a bit.

I think y'all should guess where I'm heading now! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Mossie on July 25, 2010, 02:20:00 PM
<...>
I think y'all should guess where I'm heading now! :thumbsup:

Oh yeah!
Full speed ahead!
This is gonna be good! :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

srkirad

Simon, if you think the cammo turned out too dark (after wash especially), I would suggest spraying a coat of "filter" - veeeeeeery thinned Sand colour sprayed from a bit longer distance... it should tone down the base colour.

I like how it looks now, is this gonna be something like Tornados from "Desert Storm"?
There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
Administrator of Serbian modelling forum "Maketarski Kutak"
www.maketarskikutak.com

Mossie

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Srdjan, I'll think I'll keep it how it is.  If I start spraying more, there's the potential to fowl it up so I'll live with the darker colour.  If I do it again, I'll start with a lighter base.

Mossie

Quote from: srkirad on July 26, 2010, 01:02:55 AM
I like how it looks now, is this gonna be something like Tornados from "Desert Storm"?

Forgot to say, yes, it's going to be an RAF aircraft from Operation Granby (the offical name given by the British to Operations Desert Shield & Desert Storm).  Hence the British mods I've been putting in like the Martin Baker Mk.7 ejection seats & the British style RWR & the removal of the 'sigma' shaped aerial fairing on the tail (similar to Portugeuse A-7's).  I wanted to change the cannon for 30mm Adens, but it'd have been a bit much work for the 1WGB.  It'll get a suitable load out too.

Howard of Effingham

very nice simon!

well done.  :thumbsup:

t.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

That looks absolutely fine to me, Simon. My advice FWIW; If you're in anyway unsure, then leave it - personally I'd do exactly what Srdjan suggested and mist-on some very light thinned coats of the base colour cut with white or very light grey - BUT as I say, leave it if you uncertain, get the decals on, maybe a bit more of a brown wash, matt the whole thing down and post it here in a week or so as * * F I N I S H E D * *

:thumbsup:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

I'll do a test on some of the pylons & stores, if I'm happy with it I'll roll it out onto the main model.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

Got a quick lighter coloured coat on the test parts, 3:2 Humbrol 250 to white. Thinned it about twice as much that I normally would from about a foot & half away at around 10PSI.

I'm happy with the results, I'll add some wash tomorrow to make sure the colour is right.  I've already done colour test on a brushed clothes peg & the results are encouraging, just want to make sure it's okay on plastic.

wolfik

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss  :cheers:

Taiidantomcat

Looking great! ...makes me wonder how we would all do in a "pink GB"  :wacko:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Mossie

Hmmm, that's not a bad idea.  Didn't Hawkeye do something like that on his website recentley?  Even without going crazy, you've got Desert Pink, PRU Pink, SAS Pink Panthers, the Pink Flamingo & that's just the British stuff.  I'm sure there's plenty more & I've been thinking about an alternative ride for the Hereford Gun Club's Pinkies for some time....