Some tiny tanks

Started by Joe C-P, July 18, 2010, 12:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe C-P

To arm my Patchwork World Dutch, beyond the rebuilt armor from my youth I'd posted earlier, I picked up a few 1/72 and 1/76 kits and am playing mix-and-match with the pieces.
I'm finding I want to buy a bunch more so I can really mix up parts and create hard-to-recognize outcomes.
For now, here are the works in progress.

What's been done so far:

A Kapstaad combat car, for patrolling the veldt around the Boer farms to the north of the city-state.

A second-generation Nieuw Amsterdam Landship in front of the hull of a Pennadelphian armoured "tank"

(The track that comes with the twin-turret tank is much too long.)

Two shots of a fourth-generation N.A. Landship and semi-tracked troop carrier.

I'm looking for in-scale self-propelled artillery, 1930s to Korean war. National origin is not important.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Geoff

RevD do a few German WW2 SPGs.

Weaver

The Revellobox Wespe is interesting and highly convertible into other SP weapons, since it's just a platform with a gun and shields. If you can find one, the Matchbox Stuart comes with both welded and cast turrets so you have one spare whatever you do with it.

Here's an idea I just had but feel free to use it: get the Airfix Sdkfz.234/4 (the open-topped Pak-wagon with the 75mm), remove the gun, reverse the direction of travel (so it now has a Hanomag-style long bonnet at the front), plate over the side shields leaving a slot window at the new "front" then modify the new "back" into more of a troop-carrier shape.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Joe C-P

Thanks for the pointers!  :thumbsup:
I'll look for the Wespe. Have you seen any Priests/Sextons?
SPGs might end up in the armed forces of some Dutch city-state. Perhaps patrolling the northern reaches of CharlesStaad-influenced territories to keep an eye on the troublesome Elizabethans of New York?
I also have a WW1 US 6 ton, which comes with two hulls, three different turrets, and several guns, so that will be my first generation "tankette" of the Nieuw Angelanders, the one that caused the Nieuw Amsterdamers to build their own response.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

I didn't know about those :)

What about a Jagdpanzer type conversion of  a Sherman or a Lee/Grant

What's the base for the Kappstaad ? It looks interesting .

frank2056

Where's the armored car from? It looks like a Russian BA-3/BA-6/BA-10. I didn't know there were kits of it in 1/72

NARSES2

Unimodel do loads of interesting stuff, here's their BA-3

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/UNIM320
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

I still have some WW2 vehicles and tanks in 1/72nd and 76th scale if they are of interest to you. I have a sherman, DUWK, german half track x2 2.5 ton 6x6 truck and a jeep with trailer if they are any use to you let me know and I will dig them out.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Weaver

There's also a Revellobox Priest in 1/72nd. I always thought the obvious whiff was to fit it with a 17pdr to turn it into a tank-destroyer. There's a Revellobox 17pdr too......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Joe C-P

Quote from: frank2056 on July 20, 2010, 06:52:53 AM
Where's the armored car from? It looks like a Russian BA-3/BA-6/BA-10. I didn't know there were kits of it in 1/72

Exactly! I used the turret on the Lee superstructure combined with a Panzer IV hull. I think the combat car looks better with a swivelling machine gun, in this case a Browning .32 cal. (Browning ended up the largest seller of machine guns to the various Dutch cities. Virtually all Dutch armour, aircraft, and vessels have Brownings, though there are always exceptions to the rule.)
The BA-6 is an obscure Russian or Polish or Czech model I picked up at the local hobby shop, but Squadron's catalog also lists them in 1/72.
I've decided the N.A. made landships similar to US models plus German-style half-tracks, Kaapstaad prefers wheeled vehicles, while Charles Staad has gone with SPGs, trading the complexity and flexibility for bigger guns and lower silouhette. The Nieuw Angelanders have more primitive models, and Pennadelphia prefers lighter, smaller, faster patrol vehicles.

Narses, thank you for that pointer to Hannants!

Chrisonord, if you don't want them I'll take them. I'm certain I can hack them into something interesting.

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on July 20, 2010, 02:13:14 PM
There's also a Revellobox Priest in 1/72nd. I always thought the obvious whiff was to fit it with a 17pdr to turn it into a tank-destroyer. There's a Revellobox 17pdr too......

I did that a long time ago when the Matchbox kits first came out, no idea where it went. I think it was 1/76 scale rather then 1/72. Not much of a difference but it can be notice when alongside a 1/72 kit. Nitpick mode off  :banghead:

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 21, 2010, 01:03:44 AM
Quote from: Weaver on July 20, 2010, 02:13:14 PM

I did that a long time ago when the Matchbox kits first came out, no idea where it went. I think it was 1/76 scale rather then 1/72. Not much of a difference but it can be notice when alongside a 1/72 kit. Nitpick mode off  :banghead:

Yes, you're right: the Matchbox tanks were all 1/76th.

- Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

It was the diorama bases that sold them to me.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

proditor

The bases did the trick for me as well.  I snagged a bunch of them recently. 

They also convert quite awesomely to 1/700 land battleships.   ;D