USMC Hawker Hunter Finished!!!!

Started by FAR148, July 18, 2010, 05:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Quote from: rickshaw on July 31, 2010, 03:29:46 AM
Quote from: oliv30330 on July 31, 2010, 02:17:37 AM
question: for a naval version, should we not raise the nose landing gear ?

Raise the nose, lowers the tail, making rotation more difficult.

Quote from: oliv30330 on July 31, 2010, 05:55:09 AM
yes sure... but a navy version...  :wacko:

Some navalised land-based aircraft use longer oleo struts all-round, which are extended & retracted hydraulically, allowing the landing gear bays to remain relatively unchanged (except for some extra hydraulic piping) whilst allowing extra clearance & impact absorption on landing. In some cases this feature can also be utilised to give them better hangar clearance below deck, by releasing hydraulic pressure & allowing the aircraft to drop lower on its undercarriage.

PS:- Yep, this is a bl**dy awesome build! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

FAR148

Details, details, details....  :blink:
Here's a few details I'd like to share with you. I have always liked the holes in the dive flaps of the SBD Dauntless and wanted to add some of that flavor to my USMC Hunter. So I drill out some hole in the flaps.

I needed some launch rails for my 5in rockets. So I found some Maverick rails in my stash and here's what I came up with.

Last but not least, the drop tanks. The kit's tanks has a huge rectangular recess in it where the hardpoint attaches to it, which would take a ton of putty to fill. Well, I did not like that idea and didn't want to do it twice. I did fill it with a mixture of proweld and cut up sprue. It's like liquid styrene and it is when it dries(overnight). After sanding, I rescribed a few lines and molded it then cast two tanks. The new hardpoint is an AN/AAG-14 rack from Hasagawa weapon set D cut to the wings profile.

Until later,
Steven L  :cheers:

Daryl J.

(insert favorite superlatives here because they all work) 

:thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

That's real 'model engineering', despite what the live steam guys would have us believe!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

FAR148

Thanks again guy for your continued support! :thumbsup:

Speaking about the paint scheme, this morning I was looking at it and wanted to break up the over all dark sea blue. So I mixed up some Future, dark sea blue and a few drops of flat black to darken a few panels. Two hours of masking for less then 5 minutes of airbrushing!

Darker and glossy panels. I'm pleased with the results. Hoping it will tone down a bit when I give her a gloss coat.

I also darken a few panels on the bottom. Note... Guns painted and girlie got a tailhook! :wub:

Until later,
Steven L  :drink:

Ian the Kiwi Herder

A man, his airbrush and some masking-tape in total synch !  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Pablo1965

Good work, true to your design.  It´s a awesome plane.  :thumbsup: :cheers:

Stargazer

Your modeling skills are truly impressive.  :thumbsup: :bow:

jcf

Just for fun recent pics posted on Hyperscale of a Hunter landing at Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station on the island of Oahu.

The USN use them for threat training against ships, they usually mimic cruise missiles.

Stargazer

Oh wow! I thought this was photomanipulation at first, but it appears that's for real after all! I never heard of those U.S. Hunters before... Why do they keep civilian regs?

rickshaw

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on October 31, 2011, 03:42:40 AM
Oh wow! I thought this was photomanipulation at first, but it appears that's for real after all! I never heard of those U.S. Hunters before... Why do they keep civilian regs?

Because they are operated by civilian contractors, not the military.

I wonder why they felt the need to put a US flag on the fin...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

This build just keeps getting better  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

philp

I have been thinking of building one of my Hunters in in the ATAC scheme, they operate 2 of them if I recall along with some Skyhawks and Kfirs.

http://www.atacusa.com/
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies