Main Menu

the '46 GB

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 22, 2010, 09:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Kerrillc on July 27, 2010, 09:37:07 AM
It occured to me after my last post wasn't the Tempest II nearly in service, just missing the war? I think Matchbox did a kit of the Tempest that could be built as a Mk V or a Mk II. K

Yes it was and yes they did although it was a Mk VI or Mk II  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Spey_Phantom

i was thinking, maybe we could a a subgroup to this GB, i was thinking about a Euro'41 GB that we could merge with this one.
i read European countries ordered a large number of aircraft, but they were never delivered and transferred to the RAF or USAAF.

for instance, in 1939/1940, Belgium ordered a large batch of new aircraft (Brewster B339, DB-7, PZL-37 Lôs, Ca.312, Br.693,...) but all but 1 Brewster Buffalo was delivered by may 1940.
our Indigenous Fighter, Renard R-36, could easely compare itsself with the Spitfire Mk.I, but Belgium cancelled the order after the prototype crashed, it was competing for a Belgian AF contract against the Spitfire & Hurricane, eventually we got 20 Hurricame Mk.I's and a licence to build 80 more (only 2 finished before may 1940)

same goes for the Netherlands Air Force (DB-7D, Curtis CW-21, Brewster Bermuda, Do.215, FK-58 fighters, Curtis Hawk P-36's.....)
but some awesome designs were also under construction (Fokker D.23 and de Schelde S21)
on the dutch modeling forum there was an LVA'41 GB a number of years ago

France, Denmark, Norway, Poland,.....also had aircraft on order, we could implement these in the GB  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

dumaniac

Nils - now that is a mega Maus - a kit of that would be veeeery interesting - cheers  Bernie

Weaver

Quote from: Nils on August 16, 2010, 11:37:10 AM
i was thinking, maybe we could a a subgroup to this GB, i was thinking about a Euro'41 GB that we could merge with this one.
i read European countries ordered a large number of aircraft, but they were never delivered and transferred to the RAF or USAAF.

for instance, in 1939/1940, Belgium ordered a large batch of new aircraft (Brewster B339, DB-7, PZL-37 Lôs, Ca.312, Br.693,...) but all but 1 Brewster Buffalo was delivered by may 1940.
our Indigenous Fighter, Renard R-36, could easely compare itsself with the Spitfire Mk.I, but Belgium cancelled the order after the prototype crashed, it was competing for a Belgian AF contract against the Spitfire & Hurricane, eventually we got 20 Hurricame Mk.I's and a licence to build 80 more (only 2 finished before may 1940)

Didn't Belgium also have a heavy fighter (SABCA S-something(?)) that was like a cross between a Fulmar and a Battle, i.e.  V-12 engine and two crew?

Edit: remembered it after I posted: SABCA S.47 attack/recce aircraft. It was actually a licence-produced Caproni design. Interesting wiki entry here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproni_Ca.335 According to that SABCA were also building Breguet 693s for the Belgian Airforce.

Netherlands-wise, don't forget Koolhoven who did the decent FK.58 and the wierd, mid-engined FK.55.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Spey_Phantom

BUMP

with the new GB poll up, and the GB proposal in the lead, i thought i post some motivational pics  ;D

if youve seen the movie "The Longest Day", there's also a whif'46 hidden in there, if you look at the scene when the germans spot the invasion forces, you see a formation of 4 A-1 skyraiders flying over (witch did not enter service till after the war   :lol: )
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Gondor

Quote from: Kerrillc on July 27, 2010, 08:45:50 AM
Does anyone make a kit of the Attacker?

Yes, Frog did one, very basic but ideal if you want to model it with the wheels up as there are no wheel wells. Because Frog made one it should still be available under several brand names as well as their own. CMK have also done versions of the Attacker as well but because they are resin kits they are fairly pricey.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

Magna do an Attacker.  AZ have one listed as forthcoming. Their Spiteful & Seafang are garbage.  The only thing that motivates in me is a need to empty the bin.

The Frog one isn't bad with some work - the wheel wells can be opened as the wings are in two halves (top and bottom, 'natch) - but the tailplanes are too short and the fin too high.  I think there'ssomething amiss about the intakes too.

Broplan did a limited run kit of the Koolhaven FK58.  Quite nice too, I've one in the stash somewhere.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

sandiego89

The Eastern Express version of the attacker is fair, but buildable.  Likely a copy of the old frog mold, so much more affordable than chasing an old Frog kit, for basically the same thing.  The cockpit has to be created, otherwise there it is just a pilot head.    Here is one I did as a whif, with a before picture to give you an idea of the kit:

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

The Wooksta!

The Eastern Express Attacker IS the Frog kit!  The majority of the moulds went east in the late 70s after Frog went bust.  Revell got all of the Axis stuff that the Russians didn't want.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Kerrillc

So basically anything boxed in Eastern Express/Novo brands is the basic Frog Attacker?

I'm thinking one in RAF and the other in FAA. If I can grab one or two.

And maybe a spidercrab or two!
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

I am planing on upgrading the engines of an old Airfix B-26 with some engines from a KC-97L

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Stargazer

Anything Novo IS Frog. The two companies had the same kits.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on December 12, 2010, 02:06:08 PM
I am planing on upgrading the engines of an old Airfix B-26 with some engines from a KC-97L

That almost makes it a B-50. Make the fin taller and you're there.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Stargazer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 12, 2010, 05:23:19 PM
Quote from: Gondor on December 12, 2010, 02:06:08 PM

That almost makes it a B-50. Make the fin taller and you're there.

You are tired, my friend. He said "B-26", not B-29 !!!