The beginners guide to...

Started by McColm, July 23, 2010, 10:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I was asked the question what is the next step, after using filler.
I said to use very fine wet & dry paper and use a primer before painting/spraying.
Are there alternative techniques to this?

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mossie

When I used to brush paint with Humbrol Enamels, I found I very rarely needed a primer.  Once I moved to acrylics, I found it was a must.  So you don't always need primer, depending on the paint type & brand.

There are alternatives to sanding when using filler.  I've heard it said that Mr Surfacer can be removed with lacquer/cellulose thinners, but watch out, as the brand I tried attacks plastic.

Vallejo Plastic putty can be used with water, just wipe it off with a damp cloth.  It's good for deeper, narrow cracks, such as those left when mounting perpendicular surfaces.

Correction fluid like Tipp-Ex can be removed with methylated spirits or Iso propyl alcohol.  I've used meths, apparently it shrinks less with IPA.  I've found it good for reducing panel lines, it tends to hold in shallower gaps than Vallejo Plastic Putty.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on July 23, 2010, 12:02:50 PM
There are alternatives to sanding when using filler.  I've heard it said that Mr Surfacer can be removed with lacquer/cellulose thinners, but watch out, as the brand I tried attacks plastic.

Vallejo Plastic putty can be used with water, just wipe it off with a damp cloth.  It's good for deeper, narrow cracks, such as those left when mounting perpendicular surfaces.

I use "Mr Colour Thinner" to remove Mr Surfacer. Dosn't seem to effect the plastic but then it's a very quick wipe over with a cotton bud dipped in the stuff. Once Vallejo has dried it can also be removed with "Mr Colour Thinner"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.