CA-123 RCAF Otter COIN

Started by Alvis 3.14159, July 23, 2010, 10:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis 3.14159

In the mid 1950s, incursions across several national and interior borders were becoming a problems for the Canadian Government, so the venerable CC-123 DeHavilland Canada Otter was converted into the CA-123 Attack Otter. Re-engined with the Wright R-3350 radial engine, the Attack otter differed primarily externally in the four bladed propellor and weapons stations under the wings. A 20 mm Minigun installation was used extensively from the rear doorway, and rocket pods were a typical underwing fit. An armoured fuel tank was also fitted under the fuselage, and a directable searchlight was often carried for night ops.

Alvis 3.14159

More pics....

Gun in the door!

Alvis 3.14159

And this one is not one of mine, but belongs to a co-worker named Mark, Mark II to be specific (we have 3 Marks working at the same shop...mildly confusing!) He used the HobbyCraft Canada 1/48 Otter model. note the WWII Bomber Command inspired scheme.

I am actually annoyed I didn't think of this...but am impressed with how it came out. I did donate the Minigun, so I can lay claim to that much...:(

Alvis Pi.

bobbo

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:  Looks like a seriously mean mutha . . .

bobbo

Captain Canada

Very nice. I love the camo, especially the way the green carries down the sides of the fuse....very Bomber Command ! It's neat to see how much a simple engine swap changes the lines of the old girl...looks much more lean and mean all of a sudden ! The centreline armoured fuel tank is a nice touch as well.

Tell your buddy I said "cool ! "

Cheers
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Yeah! got to agree with Todd, and I wouldn't have thought of using the Skyraider cowling either.  Although I do know now where the spare one I have will go  :wacko:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

That's a sweet idea and very logical, given the RW PC-6 and Stallion-based COIN aircraft. Love it! :wub: :thumbsup:

Tell Mk.II to get himself in here!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on July 24, 2010, 04:17:07 PM

Tell Mk.II to get himself in here!

Agreed, lovely looking model  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

thedarkmaster

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

beowulf

just looks kinds 'right' somehow  :thumbsup:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Alvis 3.14159

I just realised that it should be a CA-123, not AC-123, in keeping with Canadian aircraft designation nomenclature.

Alvis Pi

Alvis 3.14159

kitnut617

Just noticed you have used Russian RP pods, is that an An-2 nose then ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Cliffy B

Pretty sure its a Skyraider nose.  He said he added a Wright R-3350 radial and that prop is definitely from a Skyraider.

Neat bird and cool camo!  :thumbsup:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous