Gerry Anderson & the Galloping Goose Query

Started by Cobra, July 25, 2010, 01:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, i heard a Song once about a 'Rail Bus' called the Galloping Goose! Check this out @:www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/223-4151 ! think something like this Would've been used in shows like Thunderbirds,Stingray,Etc.?  just thought that Popped into my Head now. You might also be able to find info through Google,Etc. on the Galloping Goose. Think something like this Might have been tried in the UK? Thanks for looking.Dan

puddingwrestler

Most countries have rail motors. Most rail motors look like railway carriages, not buses. There have been a few which looked like a small steam engine with a carriage on the back. Gerry Anderson would never use any type of railway transport which used more than one rail. Besides, the goose is far too old fashioned for his vision of the 21st century.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

raafif

the magic Pudding is right -- most countries have tries such minor trains / rail-busses -- Australia, US, Sth America mainly.

The concept is too "1920's" for Gerry Anderson -- think Colani's super-streamlined train designs would be more his thing.

We definately need to start a TRAIN WhatIf thread ...
Currently looking for post-1950 armoured train info & pics ...
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

bobbo

Quote from: raafif on July 25, 2010, 05:38:04 PM
we definately need to start a TRAIN WhatIf thread ...
Currently looking for post-1950 armoured train info & pics ...

I agree.  What if the Pennsylvania RR got their Steam Turbines working efficiently? 

bobbo

puddingwrestler

That first one looks positively dangerous...

My N Scale (the N stands for 'Never Completed') railway, the Scunberry And Crickleford RR was a sort of whiff layout. It was a fictional late 1930s British layout, running a repainted Spanish (I think) Tank engine. Primary industries were the Mount Scunber Mine, Spratt's Sardines, Swordfish and Sundry Seafoods cannery, and Professor Knitt-Pickerington's mad science lab. I never got that far, but the lab was to feature a rail-launched 1930s flash gordon style moon rocket; crash landed on the local chip shop. I started the rocket; it was named 'Glamourous Gladys' in honour of Chuck Yeager's super sonic plane. The rolling stock was never very heavily modified however.
And then of course, there is the Ferrum Equus; my Warhammer 40,000 Railway layout built using a $20 O gauge toy trainset from Toys R Us - DF used a similar set to make his post apocalyptic garret. I've got all the spare bits from his two sets, plus another I bought and eventualy I'll put together more 40K railway; mostly to go with my wargames club's Necromunda terrain.
Ferrum Equus:
And the Imperial War Train from Necromundicon
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

raafif

Hmm, to borrow the name from someone else, my Troll & Elfin RR would be a "museum" town with a Goose, some Camelbacks etc then a mainline highspeed passing it using a few Colani's.

Thanks for the DarkRoastBlend url -- I'd forgotten where I saw them & my computer prefers fast instant rather than DarkRoastBlend  ;D

Tomorrow I'll post few urls to whacky "monorails" I found :rolleyes:

Not big on 40K Necromunda or Necrons but just love those trolls & Ogres !!
Your 40K train is Loco neat !

Joe C-P

My Patchwork World Singapore is ringed with rail lines carrying armoured train cars - guns, mortars, howitzers, machine guns, and troop carriers.

For G.A.'s world you'll want monorail, or better maglev. Subways would be pneumatic tubes.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

raafif

Here's a great site for Horrors, Freaks & other totally mind-bending machinery of all sorts.
Check out Brennan's and General LeRoy Stone's Centennial monorails and also the Lartigue, Patiala State & Larmajat "monorails" ...
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/locoloco.htm

Here are my screen-shots of a street-tram shown in the movie "Gizmo".  It is able to "pass" another car by driving over the top of it, thus saving on track, points & signalling.  Haven't been able to find any info on it at all but it was in a US fair-ground circa 1940's.

Air-pushed "tube" trains from 1867 & today ... search for "Beach Pneumatic" & "Aeromovel".
London underground Postal railway http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.karslake/mailrail/html/home.html
Chicago underground freight railway http://users.ameritech.net/chicagotunnel/tunnel1.html
I assume you all know of the famous Wuppertal monorail ... an elephant being transported for a circus broke thru the side of a carriage.

Don't even start me on cog-railways (fantastic 8hr journey across Switzerland on open-sided Bahn with wood-slat seats & no cushions !!).