Fujimi

Started by Thorvic, July 30, 2010, 11:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on September 13, 2011, 11:12:08 AM

I could have done without the separate engine,

Oh I dunno: fit the trailer with a seat and a steering wheel and you'd have a hell of a go-kart.... :wacko:

(We used to have these irresponsible fantasies looking at all the BR-715s on their trailers on the shop floor at Woodford....)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Supertom

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on September 13, 2011, 11:12:08 AM
Fujimi have announced an all-new tooling of a 1/72 F-15E Strike Eagle!  :party:

CLICKY!

I could have done without the separate engine, but if it's anywhere as nice as their recent Raptor and JSF, I think we might finally be getting a decent Strike Eagle.

A couple of guys on ARC have noticed that the tail fins of the CAD drawing on the product page has the tailfins canted outward, and that the exhausts "don't look right."  Now this is just speculation, but I wonder if Fujimi's including parts to make a Silent Eagle as well.  We might have to wait and see but that would be pretty sweet.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Green Dragon

Just had another look at the CAD and it really does have canted tails and I don't remember seeing that style of burner cans before either. Never noticed it first time, could well be a Silent Eagle coming our way.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Scooterman

I think it's a bit of a mash.  The tail indeed look canted, but the 'cans are just the std. Pratt F100s without the 'turkey feathers' that the USAF has been running on (B)Eagles for some time.  I don't recall the Silent Eagle using anything exotic for burners either...........

Green Dragon

Had a look at a lot of photos of real E Eagles and the CAD cans look longer than the real ones by roughly 2 or 3 mm (in 1/72). Anyone know if the cans move forwards/backwards when the burners are on/off?

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Scooterman

Quote from: Green Dragon on September 22, 2011, 01:35:11 PM
Anyone know if the cans move forwards/backwards when the burners are on/off?

They don't.  From the intrawebs........look bog stock to me.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Scooterman on September 22, 2011, 11:16:01 AM
<...> the 'cans are just the std. Pratt F100s without the 'turkey feathers' <...>

That's what I think as well.  :thumbsup: It's just the nozzle without the actuating rods in place. Hasegawa's F-15s have these actuating rods as separate parts as well. Maybe Fujimi will also do the as separate parts (maybe even as PE parts) and just left them off in the CAD drawing.

I hope the canted tail is just a glitch and that the kit will have proper tails.

A bit off-topic from the Fujimi kit:
The turkey feathers covering the actuating rods were taken off the Eagles as they could lead to an overheating of the nozzle. Taking them off seemed to fix that issue. Interestingly enough, while some F-16s use the same engine, they got to keep their turkey feathers. The common explanation is that the airflow on the F-16 is different and won't lead to an overheating.
For some reason, Singapore, Korea and Israel fly their Strike Eagles with turkey feathers in place. The US and Saudi Strike Eagles all fly without, exposing the actuating rods.
It's also interesting that the Israelis seem to fly their twin-sticker fighter Eagles with turkey feathers and the single-seaters mostly without. All other operators of fighter Eagles fly without the turkey feathers.
Confusing.  :blink:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Scooterman

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on September 22, 2011, 07:44:00 PM
For some reason, Singapore, Korea and Israel fly their Strike Eagles with turkey feathers in place. The US and Saudi Strike Eagles all fly without, exposing the actuating rods.
It's also interesting that the Israelis seem to fly their twin-sticker fighter Eagles with turkey feathers and the single-seaters mostly without. All other operators of fighter Eagles fly without the turkey feathers.

The Singapore and Korean Beagles use the GE F110-129, not the Pratt, hence feathers.  The F-15I uses the Pratt F100 but in upgraded -229 form with composite feathers.  The new motor is easy to spot-the turkey feathers are metallic black.  And since the motor was redesigned for the upgrade the cooling issues are not present.

Don't have an answer for the fighter double cabs though.  Old style feathers for sure.........

PR19_Kit

This is almost bordering on JMN-ism guys.  ;D ;)

Next thing we'll be talking in numbers, like Luftwaffe fans.......  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Scooterman on September 22, 2011, 09:12:53 PM
The Singapore and Korean Beagles use the GE F110-129, not the Pratt, hence feathers. <...>

Well, d'oh! You're right, of course.
Some USAF squadrons also use the -229, but they don't use turkey feathers either. I guess they chose not to fit them for logistics reason or something, figuring the extra power of the -229 is more than enough to make up for the higher drag (which was only marginally higher on other Eagles as well).

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 23, 2011, 01:17:35 AM
<...>

No, Sir, is not. Nor near-religious fervour present, no bickering, no stolen joy. All's well.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on September 23, 2011, 10:57:30 AM
No, Sir, is not. Nor near-religious fervour present, no bickering, no stolen joy. All's well.  :thumbsup:

Phew, you had me worried there for a while...........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Scooterman

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on September 23, 2011, 10:57:30 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 23, 2011, 01:17:35 AM
<...>

Nothing remotely JMN on my part either!  I'm ex-USAF and spent some time around (B)Eagles..........and Vipers, StarLizards, and the mighty Hawg!  ;D

kitnut617

Looking at that CAD drawing, the fins look a different shape to a regular F-15 tail, and I don't think it's an optical illusion either (to a drafting guy that is)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

Fujimi have announced a kit of the McLaren F1!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10227113

They've got the street version, and several GTR race cars. Very excited about this, the first F1 kit finally available.

Captain Canada

Nice. I've always wanted a collection of GTR cars.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?