Westland Whirlwind

Started by Martin H, April 24, 2004, 12:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Man I looooooove these! One of the first kits I ever built was the Airfix Whirlwind. I've always wondered what it would perform like with Merlins, and I've since learned that everyone else wonders the same thing.

Ah screw it, throw a couple of Whittle Power Jets on!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

There was a Whirlwind development aircraft with a single 37mm canon in the nose. Make a good DAF tankbuster. Once I've done my DAF P39, I might give it  a go. 40mm nose gun and two 250lb bombs ?

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mike Wren

Quote40mm nose gun and two 250lb bombs ?
Chris, I was thinking of a pair of 40mm cannon mounted together on the centreline, might well shake the poor Whirlwind to pieces though...  :huh:

oh, and a beautiful set of Whirlwinds guys  :wub:  

Martin H

I built one of those a few years back Tohpe
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Tophe

QuoteI built one of those a few years back Tohpe
teasing... can you show it to us ?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

I like that FAA bird of yours, Martin.....planes look soooo good in gloss blue with those bar-type roundels....

:wub:  :wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

brewerjerry

Quote from: Martin H on April 24, 2004, 12:31:31 PM
My Whirlwind family have been seen before, but what the hell heres one for you guys to look at.

You have before you the Westland Whirlwind PR II.

Im slowly building up a large family of these birds. An aircraft that was never allowed to reach its full potential

Hi
   great pic & scheme, the cameras are believed to have been fitted in the nose, so it would have had the extended nose, with the bumps, which also had the extra fuel tank.
   excellent model tho'

Quote from: Tophe on April 25, 2004, 07:19:23 PM
Do you mean there could have been a Tankbuster version of the Whirlwind ? Or do you mean the Martin-Baker Tankbuster (there is a Unicraft model for it) is related somehow to the Whirlwind ?

The whirlwind tank buster was a single 40mm vickers gun and two .303 guns in the nose, the contract was placed but never completed.
   cheers
     Jerry

Glenn Gilbertson

Great bunch, Martin - I particularly like the RCN Sea Whirlwind!

ysi_maniac

Nice variations on a COOL aircraft
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Martin H

bloody hell been a while since this thread was last active.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Scotaidh

Not wildly original, I suppose, nor even that much of a stretch, but perhaps more of a logical extension of what actually was - I fitted out a Whirlwind with rocket projectiles. 
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Old Wombat

Quote from: Scotaidh on January 12, 2011, 08:12:27 AM
Not wildly original, I suppose, nor even that much of a stretch, but perhaps more of a logical extension of what actually was - I fitted out a Whirlwind with rocket projectiles. 
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

As far as I know it's still a "whif".

Welcome aboard, dude! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Army of One

Some awesome kits n schemes there.....love them.....ooooh,how a about some form of turbo prop with contr rotating props armed to the teeth in Suez colours.....yellow stripes n all....!!! Or the same but Naval n Korean service markings.....high speed ground attacker n Mig basher..!!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

PACOPEPE

I´m an admirer of Whirlwind too. Here there is my whiffie; the Westland Seawind.

Cheers
Fran