US army says "No!" to mud, "#@$% YOU!" to common sense.

Started by puddingwrestler, July 31, 2010, 04:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Behold it's awesome insanity; the September 1948 issue of Popular Mechanics article 'jets look for jobs' the cover would make a rather dramatic diorama...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

dy031101

I guess science won't move forward without trial-and-error of ideas......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

anthonyp

Ya see, there was a lot of drug abuse back in the day...
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

raafif

Well, it was tried in seperate experiments -- that halftrack looks like the Chev version that the Aussie Army built in 1942 & the Brits fitted rockets to a Bren Carrier to get it over trenches & barbed-wire (it always landed upside-down tho !!).

Britain also tried big jet engines on the front of a Valentine Tank to "blow" away landmines & Russia has jets mounted on Tanks to blow out oil-well fires.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Mossie

Britain had plans to produce a 'Jumping Jeep'.  It was literally a road vehicle with a lift fan, fans or rotors, rather than the American approach around the same time to produce a purely flying jeep.  The spec was to provide a vehicle with the capability of being able to overcome an obstacle such as a wall, river or ravine.  Some designers went further to produce desings with a true flying capability.  The request produced some very biazzare & wonderfully impractical designs.

Several of the designs can be seen here:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,18183.0/highlight,jumping%20jeep.html

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Hobbes

Quote from: raafif on July 31, 2010, 05:40:24 PM

Britain also tried big jet engines on the front of a Valentine Tank to "blow" away landmines & Russia has jets mounted on Tanks to blow out oil-well fires.

Unlike the other experiments mentioned here, the tank-mounted jet (named Big Wind) was successful and have been used in a number of well fires.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.