Main Menu

New space rockets

Started by Hobbes, August 06, 2010, 03:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

SpaceX has unveiled their plans for the future, with new launchers that will be able to launch up to 140 tons into orbit, i.e. more payload than a Saturn V.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=22395.0

Exciting stuff, mainly because SpaceX has a real chance to change the course of space operations. Unlike NASA, which has become a political football, with plan after plan being drawn up and then abandoned.

jcf

Umm, yeah IMHO just another pretty slideshow and who exactly is going to pay for all this wonderful stuff?

BTW NASA always has been a political football and, on the space side of the house (which is not their only job), their own worst enemy.

Hobbes

SpaceX already have commercial launch contracts for several Falcon 9 rockets.

NASA plans for a heavy launcher (>100 tons to low earth orbit) have quoted prices on the order of 10-40 billion. SpaceX thinks they can develop the Merlin 2 engine for 1 billion. The Falcon X is basically a scaled-up Falcon 9, and that was developed incl the first example built and launched for $300 million.

jcf

Quote from: Hobbes on August 06, 2010, 11:36:51 AM
SpaceX already have commercial launch contracts for several Falcon 9 rockets.

NASA plans for a heavy launcher (>100 tons to low earth orbit) have quoted prices on the order of 10-40 billion. SpaceX thinks they can develop the Merlin 2 engine for 1 billion. The Falcon X is basically a scaled-up Falcon 9, and that was developed incl the first example built and launched for $300 million.

With one successful Falcon 9 launch and 3 out of 5 failures for Falcon I.
Also for their scheduled Falcon 9 launches in 15 of 25 listed, the customer is NASA, in other words the US taxpayer.

Based on historical figures for launcher development, I'd say they have lots more blow-ups coming, especially
as I think their 'we can just scale it up' philosophy is rather optimistic, again based on history.