I have these daft ideas.....

Started by Radish, August 06, 2010, 05:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: Radish on August 08, 2010, 01:00:01 AM

I also have this idea (expressed at the AGM) of the Duck amphibious vehicle (1/35th) crewed by. Duck-headed troops, sailors...... :banghead:

You could extend that to all manner of vehicle names and/or nicknames: a Panzer VI driven by a tiger, an F-16 flown by a snake etc... I nearly did the Pink Panther's pink Panther tank for Hawkeye's Think Pink contest. ;D

In railway scales, you can get a wide range of animals....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

If you took the wings off the tonka and re-worked the undercarrige. You could enter it for the landspeed record.

ChrisF

Im sure ive seen a Tiger tank crewed by a tiger before....

On another note i discovered the other day that ALL cats are effected by catnip... Now who wants to take some to the Zoo and see what happens in the lion/Tiger cages ?   :wacko:

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

GTX

Quote from: ChrisF on August 07, 2010, 01:24:35 PM
I thought it was mongoose's that were the mortal enemy !?   :huh:

No, in reality, the Mongoose Principality is really a vassal state of the Penguin Federation...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

GTX

Yes, the Penguin Armoured Division that supported the Reich was a powerful one!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Radish

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on August 08, 2010, 04:38:43 PM
Now I'm torn because, as a long-standing Penguiner.......http://www.1jma.dk/

Heard an interesting story of where the name the "Penguin" comes from.  Apparently the Great Awk, a large flightless diving bird which inhabited the Northern Hemisphere until it was hunted to extinction at the start of the 18th century was known as a "Penguin" which apparently comes from Welsh and means "Great Black and White" - the Great Awk had black and white markings.  Anyway, when the first sailors sailed far enough south to encounter what we now call the Penguin they naturally called them after the birds they knew.

Not sure if its true but it sounds logical.

BTW, a personal tip.  Do not attempt to capture an Emperor Penguin.  They are both very fast, much faster than their waddling walk would suggest when they get down on their tummies and scoot along on the icea and their beaks are razer sharp!   I have the scars to prove it.  ;D
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

lancer

So why were you attempting to capture an emperor penguin? Not much chance of any decent ransom.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Joe C-P

Are you part Egyptian? You'd fit right in with all their other gods.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

NARSES2

Quote from: JoeP on August 10, 2010, 06:47:51 PM
Are you part Egyptian? You'd fit right in with all their other gods.

You'll be giving him ideas Joe  :banghead: ;D

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Already sorted that one, Chris, and have several projects lined up to fit the Egyptian theme......

Simples...Eeeeeekksshh

rickshaw

Quote from: lancer on August 10, 2010, 02:47:35 PM
So why were you attempting to capture an emperor penguin? Not much chance of any decent ransom.

I was fortunate when a young digger to go to Antarctica on a resupply run.  On one of the few days off we had, they asked if we'd like to go out and see the "real Antactica". As all I'd seen was mud, slush and more of it than I liked, I volunteered to go on a Penguin banding expedition to a colony near the base.  Off we trotted and the joke was on me as the "newbie".  "Off ya go, mate, just grab hold of one of the buggers and bring it over here so we can band it."  So off I go, slipping and sliding and off goes the target Penguin down on its belly "whoosh!" Across the ice, leaving me looking bloody stupid.  When I finally do grab one, the blasted thing laid the back of my hand open with its beak.  Blood everywhere and everybody laughing fit to bust a gut at my expense.  Still got the scar on my knuckles to show where the beak slashed me.   So, don't ever, ever believe that Penguins are clumsy and defenceless!  Oh, and full grown Emperors are over a metre tall so don't think I lost out to a bloody little one, either!  :)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

At least you lost to a big one...I was offered the opportunity to pick up a small penguin (Rockhopper or Humboldt) in of all places Hawaii. Bloody thing nearly took my thumb off...then my friends daughter picked it up, cuddled it and said "did the nasty man hurt you then"  :banghead:  :blink:

The "trainers" (there's a joke if you've ever seen "trained" penguins) said it was very friendly and I must have taken it by suprise  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.