Builds #2-6 : Dassault et la RAF, une histoire d'amour compliquée

Started by Slerski, August 06, 2010, 09:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slerski

Builds #2-6 : Dassault and the RAF, a complicated love story.

What-if Dassault became a major RAF warplane supplier, since the '60 to the XXIst Century ? The story will be told with my 5 next built (planned 1,5 builds per week - I'm in holidays for 2 weeks)

Build #2 : Dassault Taranis FGA.1 (Mirage 5), 54 Sqn, RAF Luqa, Near East Air Force, 1969
Build #3 : Dassault Arrow F.2 (Mirage F1C), 56 Sqn, RAF Wattisham, UK Air Defense, 1979
Build #4 : Dassault/BAe Tornado T.1A (Mirage 2000B-S4), 3 Sqn,  RAF Geilenkirchen, RAF Germany, 1989
Build #5 : Dassault/BAe Tornado FGR.2 (Mirage 2000C-S5), 11 Sqn, RAF Leuchars, UK Air Defense, 1999
Build #6 : Dassault/BAE Systems Rafale FG.2 (Rafale C-F2), 11 Sqn, RAF Leuchars, RAF Fighter Command, 2009 SCRAPPED

Build #2 is close from completion, and build #6 is complete. I've build her before the beginning of the GB, so... it's not eligible for the GB. But she'll complete the Dassault fighter collection.

Backstories will come for each model, with pics.
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Slerski

Quote from: ysi_maniac on August 07, 2010, 08:26:59 AM
Stakhanovite modeler. :thumbsup: :bow: :party:

"Father of modelers" can be proud  :party: I think I'll build more planes than Dassault for this month :)

But models will be poorly detailled, not build to the Western standards. And I'm looking for decals  :banghead:

McColm

They would have built the Mirage IVB and their own version of the Br.1150 Atlantic or a four engined Transall.

Slerski

Slerski

Little update... Builds #2 and #5 are complete, ready for decals. Build #3 is on the way and #4 is in the box  ;D

I think user squadron will change... and I'm still looking for decals  -_-

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Slerski

4 basic builds... OOB as we say. No details, no super-paintjob, just something visually nice, I hope.

Slerski

My friends,

I failed. (I think the Politburo will send me at work as a punishment ;D)

I haven't succeed to complete 4 builds during holidays. Ran out of beers and sausages after lots and lots of BBQ, and Slerskielle (not the plane, but my beautiful girlfriend :wub:) was here to help the imperialists to stop the "4-builds in two-weeks" plan !!

As I said before, I'll be back at work tomorrow... However, builds #2 and #5 are complete, #3 is under painting and #4 is started. Little changes with the final decoration, including a Tiger xD.

Come soon for more news :)

Slerski

As promised some updates

- All builds are complete, just need to take some pics and to write the backstories (they will be short).
- Build #6, the Rafale, suffered several damages after a improvised test flight made by Mister X's Air Force. Despite the glorious efforts made by the "Damage Reparation and Aircraft Recovery Squadron", based at Slerland AFB, the plane was irreparable and have to be scrapped.

Slerski

Build #2
Dassault Taranis FGA.1
No. 54 Squadron
RAF Akrotiri, 1969

Inspired by the success of the Israeli Mirage 5J during the Sinai operations, the British government shows the Royal Air Force need to possess a robust device, easy to operate with an heavy armament allowing the plane to do CAS, the whole for a cost as low as possible.

Dassault is then approached by Ministry of Defence, this one being interested in a adapted version to British needs of the Mirage 5F. In spite of the RAF hesitation, forty planes are ordered with an option concerning twenty four others.

Conceived specifically for the Middle-Eastern theatre of operations, Taranis is considered as a stronger version of the Mirage 5F. Fitted with an Atar 9K20 engine developing 45 kN dry and 67 kN with afterburner, she keeps the basic cell of the Mirage III family. Her weapons system, conceived specifically for ground attack, articulates around the Marconi AI.18 radar. She possesses nine hardpoints, among which three wet, for a 7600 kg maximal payload.

Delivered in 1968, the first planes are allocated to 54 Squadron and after a fast training, these are deployed at RAF Akrotiri. If they give whole satisfaction, they suffer from a short range which will handicap for a long time the plane. The plane will equip only two RAF squadrons, Nos 2 and 54. After a calm career without history, they were removed from active service in 1975, after the Jaguar deployment.

Slerski

Build #3
Dassault/BAC Arrow F.2
No. 11 Squadron
RAF Binbrook, 1979

Dassault/BAC Arrow arises from the first aeronautical cooperation between France and UK. In 1964, Ministry of Defence emitted Operationnal Requirement OR.369. At the same time, the French Air Force, wishing to modernize her fighter fleet, emitted the "Chasseur Mach 2" specification. Wanting to rationalize the development of a fighter, both governments urged their respective air forces to work together.

But as any joint project, differences of view seem very fast. RAF wanted a twin-engined interceptor about seven tons, whereas AdlA wanted a single-engined multirole fighter, about six tons. After long discussions (even some fights), Dassault and BAC are approached to build the new fighter according to the following specifications: eight tons interceptor, which can take off on short distances or since summary grounds and having a 500 kilometer range without additional fuel tanks.

Both manufacturers get on the project's distribution. Dassault will build the fuselage, whereas BAC will study wings and control surfaces. The weapon systems will be developed jointly by Thomson-CSF and Marconi. Very fast the project starts and the first prototype makes its inaugural flight in July 1968. After conclusive tests, mass production began at the end of 1969.

The first planes are delivered to the 11 Squadron RAF (as Arrow F.1) and to the EC 1/5 Vendée (as Mirage F1C). In spite of some youth defects, the plane completely satisfies both air forces and serves in 1972 within 6 RAF squadrons and 8 AdlA squadrons.

Born as a fighter, the plane is modified in the middle of the 80s for the interdiction-strike role, leaving the interceptor's role to the new Tornado. She serves honourably in the Gulf and the Balkans for the CAS role. After a last oversea deployment in 1995, the last Arrow leaves the RAF where they keep a reputation of a reliable and without particular vice plane.

PR19_Kit

Slerski,

You better start a new build #6, the Rafale. But you couldn't post it here as a Whiff because after you've built it, it may NOT be a Whiff!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Slerski

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 24, 2010, 07:17:23 AM
Slerski,

You better start a new build #6, the Rafale. But you couldn't post it here as a Whiff because after you've built it, it may NOT be a Whiff!

RAF will buy Rafales ? :unsure:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Slerski on October 24, 2010, 07:20:22 AM

RAF will buy Rafales ? :unsure:

Maybe the Fleet Air Arm then, same roundels, different colour scheme.

They have to fly SOMETHING off the new ski-jump-less carriers and the short list is around three aircraft, one of which has to be the Rafale.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit