Panzer Dark Yellow

Started by ysi_maniac, August 12, 2010, 06:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What shade do you think is more accurate?

Left (Tamiya)
5 (35.7%)
Middle (Vallejo)
8 (57.1%)
Right (Lifecolor)
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

ysi_maniac

You can comment about quality of manufacturers or whatever you like, but my specific question is about accuracy of shade, because I will make a mix anyway.
Will die without understanding this world.

Mossie

Difficult to tell, it looks like there's only one coat over the primer & I'm no armour expert.  Going on what I've seen & read, I always thought it was a 'dirty' shade of yellow so I've voted for Vallejo.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Taiidantomcat

Agreed Mossie. I can really only vote on my preconceived notion of what it looks like. I use model master and it looks most like the middle one to me.

:huh:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

nev

You know what?  Who knows?

you're talking about paint manufactured in a country that was short of every strategic resource, in a factory that had been the subject of repeated bombing, by slave workers from all over Europe on the verge of dying of starvation, disease or just good old random nazi brutality.

And you're comparing it to Black & White photos.  Or colour pics with the shades out of whack.  Or 60 year old paint chips.

Personally, I voted for Tamiya, just because I love its distinctive smell which takes me back to my childhood :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

Quote from: nev on August 13, 2010, 09:52:38 AM
And you're comparing it to Black & White photos.  Or colour pics with the shades out of whack.  Or 60 year old paint chips.

Nope.  Not comparing it to anything, just going with what I 'feel'!  I just 'feel' that dirty yellow would be about right, no idea how right it is & not too worried about it.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Geoff

Me I use either Tamia or RevD straight out of the bottle/cube thingy.

ChernayaAkula

I'm far from an expert on Wehrmacht matters, but as far as I know there where two (pretty different) incarnations of Dunkelgelb. IIRC, the change occurred at the end of 1943/beginning of 1944. I read an article in a German modelling magazine that research has shown there was even a third official shade, which was also noticeably different from the other two. Factor in the war times (although ze Germans were apparently still committed to fulfilling the standards), faded paint, grime, dust and general wear and tear and Nev's dead-on with "who knows". :lol:
At some point late in the war, the factory base coat was to be dark green. Camouflage was to be applied in the field. Guess it's reasonable to assume that the troops used any dark yellow they could get their hands on.

So with all that, any shade of the three pictured could be right.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Dork the kit slayer

I think(only my opinion)that for the best effect . If you were to use the darker,then a spray of the intermediate and finally a light coat of the lighter.
Followed of course with dirt and stain.
Many paint manufacturers pre-lighten or base their mixes on photos of subjects with faded schemes.
Again only my thoughts others may and probably will know better. :thumbsup:
l
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Jacques Deguerre

Strictly based on my "Mark 1 Eyeball" informed opinion, I'd have to go with the Vallejo color.
Some clever and amusing quote goes here.

sequoiaranger

You may already know about this "phenomenon", but the basis is that the smaller the model, the lighter the shade should be. That is, the darker yellow might be appropriate for a 1/24 model, but a 1/72 should have the lighter shade.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!