Revell 'Contacta Special'......

Started by Army of One, August 13, 2010, 06:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

....has anyone had problems with this...?? I bought some the other day n think its awful for everyday use on putting a model together.....was gloopy thick and seemed to get thicker on contact with air....then went very stringy....used it for about two mins before being naughty n nicking my sons proper liquid glue. This stuff probably got a use....I just didn't find it very good for basic assembly of a kit.....unless I got a bad bottle.....wish I'd spent a few pence more n got the 1/72 Revell BoB Bf 109 E4....... :angry:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Weaver

No it's always like that - I've never figured out a use for it either..... :banghead:

Apparently it's clear plastic dissolved in liquid glue. I always use the regular Contacta or very occasionally, the traditional "cement" in sqeezy tubes.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

The only Revell product I'd use is their filler - but only if I had no Humbrol left.  Frankly, I find their paints & and glues to be utter garbage (rest of diatribe deleted on legal advice).
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

upnorth

Contacta Special is utter garbage in my experience too.

Revell's normal Contacta liquid glue in the brush bottle does in a pinch and actually is pretty good for a stronger weld on weight bearing joints.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

NARSES2

I've used "Contacta Professional" which is ok for glueing wing halves etc but that's about it. However the needle applicator is usefull once you've used the glue  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

The problem I have with the "Contacta Professional" is the needle getting blocked, which I have yet to find a method to de block as it is so fine.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

puddingwrestler

There are two ways to unblock a clogged needle applicator:
1: Get a wire bag tie (the sort which come with freezer bags and are used by some bakeries on bread bags), and strip the plastic off. The wire inside is a perfect fit for cleaning out the nozzle. FIne fuse wire also works.
2: FLAMING DEATH!! I don't use this method, but I have wargamer mates who never use anything else. Basically use a lighter on the nozzle and the clogging glue burns out.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Mossie

Quote from: puddingwrestler on August 13, 2010, 03:30:30 PM
2: FLAMING DEATH!! I don't use this method, but I have wargamer mates who never use anything else. Basically use a lighter on the nozzle and the clogging glue burns out.

I do use this method!  I've never had a flaming death!  I take the needle out of the bottle (just pulls out) & hold it in a pair of long tweezers.  I stick the gas hob on low, hold the needle in the flame for a bit & you get small shoots of flame as the glue runs out.  Run it under the tap to cool it (DON'T touch it or try to put it back in the bottle before!) & you're needle is good as new.  It's no more dangerous than warming up a pan of soup, I've never hurt myself even slightly with this method.

I pretty much use Revell Contacta Professional or Humbrol Precision Poly all the time, whichever is in the shop when I run out.  I haven't used tube or bottle poly cement for some time.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Army of One

I got a bottle of the normal contacta fluid cement that I usually used....just thought the bigger bottle made more sense....it is utter sh1t though.....really wish I'd spent the few extra pennies on that Bf109....... :banghead:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Mossie

Just a few thoughts on the Contacta Special, although I've never tried the stuff, just musings.

Does it fog canopies, does the 'Special' in the title mean it's meant for clear parts?

It sounds like it has the properties of a filler to me, the thickness & the fact it has plastic dissolved into makes it sound like this.  Maybe it acts like a filler & glue combined?  If it squidges out of the joins, the thickness may allow it to seep into seams.  If you let it dry, can you then sand it?  Kind of a self filling glue maybe???
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Mossie: it says on Revell's website that the stuff was invented for glueing chrome-plated parts, which can apparently react with normal glue, that it's useful for canopies because it doesn't fog and that it can be used for a wide range of other materials. My problem with it is that it's highly stringy, so actually applying it neatly to anything is very difficult. It's far more stringy than Humbrol Clearfix, for instance.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Aircav

Quote from: Gondor on August 13, 2010, 03:13:59 PM
The problem I have with the "Contacta Professional" is the needle getting blocked, which I have yet to find a method to de block as it is so fine.

Gondor

Just leave it upside down for a while (30-60mins) and the glue dissolves itself.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Army of One

Quote from: Weaver on August 14, 2010, 05:49:48 AM
Mossie: it says on Revell's website that the stuff was invented for glueing chrome-plated parts, which can apparently react with normal glue, that it's useful for canopies because it doesn't fog and that it can be used for a wide range of other materials. My problem with it is that it's highly stringy, so actually applying it neatly to anything is very difficult. It's far more stringy than Humbrol Clearfix, for instance.

Agreed.....the thing I didn't like was its super stringyness.....had to be really careful....other liquid glue can flow into joins n cracks.....this would prob have to be pushed in......I'll gladly swop the (nearly) new tub of sh1t for a revell Bf109E-4....looks lovely.....anyone.....I'll pay postage.......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Spey_Phantom

ive used it once, i didnt like it, it indeed fogs up the clear parts, now i work with Contacta Professional only  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Weaver

Quote from: Army of One on August 14, 2010, 08:21:40 AM
Quote from: Weaver on August 14, 2010, 05:49:48 AM

Agreed.....the thing I didn't like was its super stringyness.....had to be really careful....other liquid glue can flow into joins n cracks.....this would prob have to be pushed in......I'll gladly swop the (nearly) new tub of sh1t for a revell Bf109E-4....looks lovely.....anyone.....I'll pay postage.......

Out of luck here mate. I fell for it twice: first time 25 years ago, and I then found the old bottle (looks exactly the same) just after I'd bought some again recently, having forgotten all about it...... :banghead:

- Indiana Jones