Amroured rail vehicles

Started by puddingwrestler, August 14, 2010, 09:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

With the Russian armoured train from the Chechen Wars, how about US versions of these in a US setting? I remember a series of articles in a German modelling magazine about scratch-built versions of US railway guns from the Civil war era. Pretty interesting stuff.

Quote from: raafif on August 19, 2010, 05:07:30 PM
<...> As Switzerland is very "train-minded" & have Train Fire-engines for forest fire-fighting, would they have had an armoured train in their inventory Huh?  Similarly, what about Norway & Sweden ?

Think that could make a lot of sense for the Narvik-Kiruna-LuleĆ„ "ore line".  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

apophenia

Quote from: puddingwrestler on August 14, 2010, 09:03:07 PM... it's in the Namibian railway musseum apprently, but apart from a pic, there are not many details.

That first vehicle was created from the front half of two Namibian Wolf mine resistant vehicles welded back to back. (There's not many images of the original Wolf and Wolf-Turbo around. Most are of the current-production Wer'wolf -- which has its windsreeen arranged in raked, v-shape among other differences.)

The conversion may look improbable but makers Windhoeker Maschinenfabrik began as a rolling stock fabricator.
Attached is an image of the Wolf-on-rails conversion underway. [deleted]

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader