Where's this A-4 Skyhawk from?

Started by Nick, August 17, 2010, 02:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Cymru

Cliffy B

Looks kinda Russian to me  :unsure:  USN Aggressor bird?
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Geoff

Quote from: Cliffy B on August 17, 2010, 11:42:07 AM
Looks kinda Russian to me  :unsure:  USN Aggressor bird?

Yeah I like that  idea.

Radish

If it's a Clan Douglas SUAF(Scottish Union air Force) "Sky Hooker", it would be wearing the white St.Andrews cross on the tail/ruffer, and the roundels would be black circles with a white St.Andrews Cross on. (Rather similar to the Nationalist Spanish Civil War markings!!!)

The Clan Douglas supplied "Sky Hookers" to:

Ireland, although these were usually panted green.
Wales (Cymru)....a variety of schemes

These also look like the "Sky Hookers" flown by the Druids in the Great Druid Revolt of 2012, but their markings were sheep's heads.

It could be from Ecuador, Guatamala or Columbia though.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Nick

A great bunch of answers there! ;D

Definitely a Central or South American theme there which I can work with if the ESCI sheets are still good. Cuba, Nicaragua, Peru etc.

I could go for an African 60s look with Congo (Leopoldville or Brazzaville) or Rhodesia!
Don't think this camo suits a USAF version, but something could be done with other kits.

But it's not really a Lebanon look, is it? :unsure: It would need to be more sandy brown in the base colour or just an overpaint of a US Navy or RNZAF camo.

Mossie

Dunno, Lebanon isn't as dusty a country as you'd think, there are large areas of scrublands & forests.  Lebanese Hunters & Mirage III's wore grey-green camo, they were never repainted in sandy shade as far as I'm aware.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Scooterman

Roger the Cabin Boy

The future's so bright, I gotta wear NVGs...

Nick

After much thought and indecisiveness (and a rotten cold) I have settled on.....

Guatemala!

Instead of getting A-37 Dragonfly's (like the rest of Central/South America) the US will only sell them pre-used A-4 SkyHawks. This one is naturally one of them.

Problem is I only have the roundels and flags and no idea what the other markings would be. If you can point me in the right direction with photos of other Guatemalan aircraft I'd appreciate it.

Nick

Thanks PhilP, looks pretty simple. AllI need is a serial number in the A-37B line and maybe an FAG somewhere on the wings, with a minimum of basic rescue markings.

Hit one problem already with the tail flashes being the wrong layout and then they fell off  :rolleyes: but there's spares on the ESCI sheet.