Ski equipped F.18 Hornet MLU. ...

Started by TsrJoe, August 20, 2010, 06:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

descriptive text to follow ...  :blink:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

Translation ...

'Hornet sai sukset' (Hornet got skis!) ... the secret MLU modifications of Hornets

It has been heard from a reliable source ('the horsemen's news agency') that the Finnish F.18 Hornet MLU update will include a ski modification. The modification will be carried out by Patria Aviation using workers on a government sponsored placement scheme. The value of the contract is about 33 million Euros. The contract will also support Finnish subcontractors and is worth 110 man work years.
Patria's predecessor Valmet Lentokonetehdas (VL) has a long experience in manufacturing skis for aircraft, but instead of using aeroplane veneer and laminated plywood, the new skis will be made utilising modern materials such as carbon fibre, aramid honeycomb and titanium.
Snowy winters will turn the 'land of thousands of lakes' into the 'land of alternate airfields'. Ploughing of runways can also be reduced, it only being necessary to pack the runway snow intermittently, which will help with cost saving targets. Destia (the national road maintenance organisation) is planning to reduce the snow maintenance of roads and airfields situated thereon, this would not affect ski equipped aircraft.
The project will be continued further by developing steam catapult and arrestor systems attached to the ice covering of the lakes by freezing in place. NATO common suitability certification will be applied for the ski modification as well as the catapult/arrestor system, and at least Norway has already expressed interest in purchasing the systems when in production.

Illustration by Mauno Selin
Ref.; Siivet Wings, 5/2010

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Maverick

Didn't know they smoked wacky-backy in Finland,  :lol:

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Cliffy B

Must add awesome winter splinter camo!  Must build!!!!  :wub:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

dy031101

Wondering how much of drag the skis would add since it doesn't look like that I should expect them to be full-retractable.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Alvis 3.14159

I always wanted to do a followup to my Canadian Forces CF-188 on floats, the Sea-F-18 like this, and call it a Ski-F-18!

Yuk yuk yuk! I'll be here all week! Try the veal!

I imagine it would be draggy, but the Hornet is full of all sorts of draggy looking features, let alone when it's loaded up with weapons and such. Winter camo is a must.

Alvis Pi

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Green Dragon

Reminds me of the Angel Interceptor's gear from Captain Scarlet.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

TsrJoe

would make for a sweet model methinks, im guessing semi recessed skis, i can just imagine these sitting on a snow covered lake complete with attendant skidoo's etc.  :thumbsup:

TsrJoe

via the prolific hand of John Lacey 'maverick' some profiles of the 'ski Hornet', the snow schemed example looks really cool indeed   :mellow: ...

cheers, Joe

TsrJoe

love the white 'snow scheme' and couldnt resist a little modification just to see how it might look with skis retracted too ...  :wacko:

my apologies to John for tinkering with his original profile, cheers, joe

Maverick

No sweat on the retracted gear Joe.

Here's another that I couldn't resist.

Regards,

Mav