RAF Germany camouflage

Started by Slerski, August 22, 2010, 06:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slerski

I'd like to know if someone knows how the plane who served in Germany for tactical use (Jags, Harrier or Tornado GR1) were painted ? And if the paint is wraparound type or camo with grey or blue underside.
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

upnorth

Depends entirely on the era I think.

I recall seeing German based Harriers with grey undersides in the early 80s.

I think it was during or just after the Falklands war that the tactical types started getting wraparound camo.

At that, I think the German based Tornado Gr.1s always were wrap around camo.

Most pictures I've seen of RAFG aircraft from the 70s show light grey undersides. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of a RAFG Phantom or Buccaneer in wraparound.

The Harrier GR.3 seems to be the model that was serving when wraparound came into widespread use.

You asked about a blue undersides, I think that was the very early period of RAFG where Sabres and Vampires had PRU blue undersides.

High Speed Silver took over as the underside colour from PRU blue and Light Aircraft Gray took over from the silver in the late 50s or early 60s sometime
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Gondor

Military Aircraft Modelling fairly recently did a series of articles about camouflage on RAF aircraft. Off the top of my head the underside of aircraft  for what became RAF Germany started with High Speed Silver and gloss upper surface colours. This continued untill the late 60's when polyurethane paint was introduced. Due to an inability to produce Silver paint that would last, light grey was introduced on the undersides of aircraft, this was still with a gloss finish. As tactics and the threat changed in the early 70's, and coincidently shortly after the Harrier entered service, markings were toned down and finishes were changed to Matt. Mid to late 70's another change was introduced to tactical aircraft, both the Jaguar and the Harrier introducing the "wrap around" colour scheme. An additional note to the camouflage of the Jaguar and Harrier at this time was that for winter operation such as tactical deployment to NATO northern flank, the green of the camouflage pattern was painted over with a white distemper.

Hope this helps

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Slerski

Many thanks to you chaps. I think it'll help  :thumbsup:
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Mossie

Have a look at the RAF entry on Don Color, it gives a good overview.  RAFG largely followed the same rules as home based aircraft, so the same camouflage schemes apply.
http://www.jpsmodell.de/dc/schemes/uklw_raf_e.htm#1950

To add to what others have mentioned, full colour roundels were seen on frontline tactical aircraft until about '72, when the low viz red/blue roundels & fin flashes were introduced.  You still saw aircraft in full colour roundels for another few years until they'd all been re-painted.  I think the wraparound camo was introduced in '75, again, it was little while until the whole fleet had caught up.

Harrier GR.5's & early GR.7's wore a different scheme of NATO Green over Lichen Green from when they were first introduced in '88/'89.  Although not tactical, some Lightnings had Dark Green over aluminium undersides, specifically for service in Germany.  As the fleet was wound then, many were posted back in the UK &retained the scheme.

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.