Trip to East Kirkby 25/08/10

Started by BadersBusCompany, August 27, 2010, 06:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadersBusCompany

A few mates and I went down to Lincolnshire on Wednesday to have a fast taxy ride on Lancaster NX611 "Just Jane". Superb. Worth every penny. We took advantage of the VIP day and were fed and watered and spent some quality time with the crew. Totally recommended  :thumbsup:

BadersBusCompany

GTX

You have to tell me how to do that - might try for next time I'm in the UK.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

BadersBusCompany

This is definitely a 'must do' for any aviation enthusiast visiting the UK. Visit Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre's website for booking prices and available dates (I thinkt the next available ride is April 2011). I paid £270 and for that you get a VIP pass. For that you are fed and watered all day in the NAAFI buiding, you can wander around with no restrictions meeting the crew and ground crew. At this point I have to say I have never met a friendlier group of people, they were all great people, and most of them are related, a true family concern.
The Lanc does two taxy runs a day and each run has 10 guests on it, you get to sit in every position and truly appreciate the cramped conditions crews had to endure.You get about half hour before the run to clamber around and about the same after the run. It was awsome. The site, former RAF East Kirkby also hosts an excellent Bomber Command museum.
Something I will not forget..............on our taxy run there was a young Canadian couple, the girls relation had been a rear gunner who had perished over Berlin, she was given preference to sit in the tail turret and was quite emotional. I got talking to her and she's writing a book on her relations career, she had a passion that was infectious..................but I never asked her name.
http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/

kitnut617

Very nice,  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As an aside, the other flying Lanc' (the one on this side of the pond) visited Calgary a week or so ago.  Did a number of flights around Calgary and some lucky people got to fly in it as well.

So that made three Lanc's to look at in about a 50 minute radius, the flying Lanc, the static one at the museum on the south side of Calgary International, and the fully restored one down in Nanton (south of Calgary) which now has two running engines.

But I wasn't able to get down there to see the flying one    :banghead: :banghead:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

QuoteI thinkt the next available ride is April 2011

That's plenty of time to organise so business meetings... :rolleyes:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Spey_Phantom

nice pictures, i just love the lancaster, as soon as i can make some space here, im getting one  ;D
you must have had a great day  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Mossie

I've never made it to East Kirkby but I've wanted to go for some time.  It's got a family connection, my Grandma's brother (would of course been my Great Uncle had he survived) Albert flew in Lancs from there & their aircraft was shot down over France.  It made a succesful forced landing, but it was destroyed when a bomb that had jammed exploded just as the crew were getting out & they were all killed in the blast.  I've seen pictures of him, in fact there's an uncanny resemblance to myself, I'd like to go & check out the record there sometime.

Looks like a great day out Mark! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

BadersBusCompany

Its fantastic mate, well worth a visit. Especially with your family connection, the staff their would give you priority to sit in your relatives position on the actual run! What Squadron was your great Uncle in, 57 or 650? Every RAF casualty is remembered and named on two beautiful plaques in the equally beautiful chapel there. I will definitely be going back.

regards

Mark

Also i have access to casualty lists from East Kirkby if your interested

philp

Would love to get on one of the Forts on this side of the pond.  Rides are $400-450 for a 30-45 minute flight.  Keep hoping the family is planning one of these for my 50th but with funds where they are, not expecting it.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

nev

That's awesome.  Not been to East Kirkby myself - really no excuse, even if I can't afford a ride.  My boss's boss was talking about doing it the other day.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Mossie

Quote from: BadersBusCompany on August 28, 2010, 08:52:07 PM
Its fantastic mate, well worth a visit. Especially with your family connection, the staff their would give you priority to sit in your relatives position on the actual run! What Squadron was your great Uncle in, 57 or 650? Every RAF casualty is remembered and named on two beautiful plaques in the equally beautiful chapel there. I will definitely be going back.

regards

Mark

Also i have access to casualty lists from East Kirkby if your interested

I don't know any of his details, but my Grandma has a lot of records & I'll be visiting her soon.  Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to afford a ride in Just Jane any time soon!  My Grandma has visited there, as well as his grave in France & the village where the Lancaster crash landed.  This all came about after she lost his photo that she kept on her at all times, some kind soul handed it in to the local paper who printed it & then people contacted her about him & it all snow balled from there.  She found out all about the circumstances of the crash & that's how I know the basics. 

I'd like to find out more & hopefully build a model of the Lancaster he flew in.  I vaguely remember he was a tail gunner, but my memory is a bit rusty.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

BadersBusCompany

Mossie I have quite a bit of info on East Kirkby ops, including A/c lost in and over France. Would you like me to email what info I have?

kitnut617

Just had a look at google maps to see where East Kirkby is and found it's only a couple of miles from Woodhall Spa, where my Dad was stationed when he was with 617 Sqn.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike