What's the most expensive kit you've bought?

Started by McColm, August 31, 2010, 04:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on September 05, 2010, 04:10:08 AM
Shackleton AEW2 conversion kit required careful smuggling on the basis of the cost/box size ratio!
;D ;D

Yes, I've got one of them too. It's superbly made but the ratio you mention is WAY up there!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Especially if you're the gadgy that bought the one on ebay recentlyfor £69!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 05, 2010, 05:39:51 AM
Especially if you're the gadgy that bought the one on ebay recentlyfor £69!

He/she/it must have been.....well let's say their judgement may have been a little impaired at the time (by whatever means).  It certainly wasn't me!!
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

TsrJoe

for this year i guess a Lindberg 1/72 Japanese submarine with Kaitens would be the most expensive single kit purchase iv made so far :blink:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

thedarkmaster

Thinking about it the most expensive kit anyone buys are those that stay in the stash and don't get built !!
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

McColm

What's the point of buying them, if not to build them?

thedarkmaster

Somewhere in nearly everyones stash is a kit, which deep down we know we will never build, but we will never get rid of it either because one day ............ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

lancer

Quote from: thedarkmaster on September 06, 2010, 10:42:45 AM

Somewhere in nearly everyones stash is a kit, which deep down we know we will never build, but we will never get rid of it either because one day ............ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ain't that the truth???? I must have half a dozen of those stashed away!!!

I think the most expensive kit(s) I've ever brought are the Airfix Nimrod and the Resitech/Heritige/whoever has the molds today TSR2.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

frank2056

My max seems to be around $150-$160 US. I had a 1/6 scale time machine ($56) which I sold (dammit! It didn't work!), a 1/350 scale vacuformed Romulan Bird of Prey ($150, maybe slightly less) and a resin /500 SSC Columbus, a ship set in the Leif Ericson Galactic Cruiser universe. That was $150. I also have an original Leif Ericson - kits in similar condition have sold for $500+ on EBay; luckily I bought mine before Ebay so it was only $70.

Joe C-P

Iron Shipwright USS Detroit, resin 1/350. I don't remember what it cost me, but today it's over $200US. I will eventually build it as USS Trenton.
I also want their USS New Jersey, BB-16, which is even more expensive.
Also looking at the Yankee Modelworks resin 1/350 USS Holland sub tender, which is over $200US, and I'd need to buy several subs to put with her in a diorama.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Aircav

Quote from: thedarkmaster on September 06, 2010, 10:42:45 AM

I've got a 1/48 Revell Wessex, only trouble is I can't decide what colour scheme to do her as I'm not paying the current price for a couple more.  :banghead:  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

jcf

Monsters in Motion 1/12th scale Bladerunner Spinner, rather dissapointing as it was more of a sculpture than a model.
Nicely roto-moulded hollow cast, but the rear was asymmetrical and the figures of Deckard and Gaff were moulded into
the cockpit.  :banghead: Sold it on about ten years later for half what I paid because I couldn't be bothered to do the
necessary corrective work.

Halcyon Nostromo for half-price.  ;D

Fisher Model and Pattern Alfa Romeo B.A.T. 5. Beautiful resin work.

chrisonord

Quote from: thedarkmaster on September 05, 2010, 07:24:43 AM

Thinking about it the most expensive kit anyone buys are those that stay in the stash and don't get built !!
I am waiting to build my Amodel Beriev Be-200 until I dig my pond bigger ;D
I want to have some of my sea planes and flying boats, either beached up on the side or moored up in the pond ;D :wacko:
Well, I don't have the shelf space for them :rolleyes:
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Howard of Effingham

probably a second hand but unstarted airfix SR53 at £35 a few years back.

yeah, i was mugged but i wanted it badly.
Keeper of George the Cat.