What's the most expensive kit you've bought?

Started by McColm, August 31, 2010, 04:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

Amodel 1/72 3M Bison. I got it relatively cheaply from the Ukraine, plus I had sold some kits to build up the paypal balance so it didn't set me back as much. I love the way that airplane looks, Its like something out of the Jurassic period! I am very happy with it, I havnt seen it listed as cheaply anywhere since, so although it expensive, I certainly believe it was worth it... just have to build it sometime!  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

beowulf

this will take some explaining  ;D

most expensive kit was Revell Germanys 1/24 car transporter......getting as rare as rocking horse droppings.......only saw four on ebay in a year....got one for £35 inc the postage, and that was the cheapest of the four............but its not much use on its own  ;D............the rig was £25.........the cars added up to about £70...........so all in it was about £130.......damn things nearly a metre long when its put together...which hasnt been for ages since it dont fit in my display cabinets  ;D

.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

ChernayaAkula

My top 5!

1. This fellow from Pegaso! 90mm tall, just over 60 EUR!

This is the version painted by Diego Ruina of Pegaso. Mine is still safely in the box.

2. Tamiya 1/350 IJN Yamato at around 55 EUR
3. Revell 1/72 Type VII/C41 Atlantiv version- 52.80 EUR
4. Dragon 1/35 M51I Israeli Sherman - 37.99 EUR
5. Revell 1/72 Type VII/C Grey Wolves - 31.19 EUR

The next few are a couple of Tamiya tanks and some Games Workshop figures (and a Valkyrie! :wub:). Most of the stash is on the safe side of 15 bucks, though. In fact, I think I once calculated the average price of a kit in the stash and it came out at just shy of 11 EUR.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

ChrisF

At the bottom of my stash is my 1/48 Airfix TSR2... Now since i want it to be perfect, ive bought pretty much every after market goodie i can find.. Oh and finally shelled out on a *proper* airbrush and compressor in readiness for it... I might need a new display cabinet too cos once its done its gonna be quite long...

Yeah add that all up cos i really dont want to myself just in case it scares me  :rolleyes:

buzzbomb

Somethings you just gotta have

El Veijo Dragon 54mm Viking ship
- Aussie $350 (about 150 odd pounds)

Panzershop 1/35 Dana
- Aussie $320 (about 140 odd pounds)

of course this has now been announced in injection plastic.. which is typical.

both are stunning models and well worth the money.

Hobbes

for me it was the BraZ Tu-144 (€ 120). One kit I wanted but didn't want to spend the asking price for, was the Tatra AV-15  ($300)...

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: buzzbomb on September 01, 2010, 03:19:55 PM
<...>
Panzershop 1/35 Dana
http://home.iprimus.com.au/brianth/btgallery/pa/dana/dana20.jpg <...>

Hmm, if it works that way, can't you try and find a Rooikat or AMX-10 RC in 1/35?  :wacko: Would love to have one of those in injected plastic. :lol:

Wonder when Trumpeter will come out with their Dana? Or their Cv90 family....
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

rickshaw

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on September 03, 2010, 08:44:18 AM
<...>
Panzershop 1/35 Dana

Hmm, if it works that way, can't you try and find a Rooikat or AMX-10 RC in 1/35?  :wacko: Would love to have one of those in injected plastic. :lol:

According to this webpage, ADV-Azimut make an AMX-10RC in resin in 1/35 but according to this page at the same War Wheels site, there is no model yet of the Rooikat.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Gondor

So far my most expensive kit is probably nowhere near the vast expenditure the rest of you have announced so far. To date the most expensive kit I have bought is a CMR 1/72 HS Buccaneer S.MK.2/2C/2D FAA version at £70 something if I remember correctly.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: rickshaw on September 04, 2010, 01:26:40 AM
According to this webpage, ADV-Azimut make an AMX-10RC in resin in 1/35 but according to this page at the same War Wheels site, there is no model yet of the Rooikat.

Thanks for the heads-up! :thumbsup: I vaguely remembered that someone did a resin AMX-10 RC and that it cost a pretty penny (granted, for all the work involved, the prices aren't too bad). That's why I wanted buzzbomb to pick up one of those expensive resin jobs! ;) So that someone would announce an injection-moulded version shortly afterwards. :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

anthonyp

Right now, it'd have to be one of my Anigrand space kits (the RLV one pops to mind), but for some reason I think I got it from Nostalgic Plastic on sale, so it's probably the Mach 2 A-2 Savage I bought from a LHS that no longer exists.  I think I payed like $65 for that POS (it was before I knew what a Mach 2 lump o' plastic was).

Close second would be my latest ISS from evil-Bay.

I have been watching and trying to convince myself to throw my money at one of those ancient Revell 1/144 Space Shuttle Launch Complexes that show up on eBay.  I've seen prices anywhere from low $100, to over $200.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

buzzbomb

Quote from: rickshaw on September 04, 2010, 01:26:40 AM
Quote from: ChernayaAkula on September 03, 2010, 08:44:18 AM
<...>
Panzershop 1/35 Dana

Do not be surprised I currently have a resin  G6-Rhino in the holding pattern on the bench.. awaiting a big more info on the suspension.

I have also scratch build a Sdkfz6 Diana as well.. which has also just been kitted
Anything else I can help out with ?  ;D

NARSES2

Have to admit I'm a great one for buying expensive resin or ltd run plastic kits only for a far better/cheaper/more mainstream kit to come out almost immediately  :banghead:

Mind you 3 or 4 years ago I was a Crystal Palace season ticket holder, Harlequins RFU season ticket holder and a Surrey CCC member...and all 3 got relegated  :banghead: Mate of mine who is a mad Man City fan offered to buy me a Man U season ticket  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

My most expensive:

Planet Junkers Ju290 - £98
Toad Resins Junkers Ju 488A V403 - £70
Toad Resins Junkers Ju 488A V403 - £80+ (can't remember the excact price but I remember it being over 80 notes)
Kora Junkers Ju 488 V401 - £65
Vami Blohm und Voss Bv 142 - £55
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

'kitbasher' is an anagram of 'tightwad', thus explaining why my most expensive kit to date is an Airfix Nimrod minus a 10% IPMS discount provided by the store in question (TAHS).  But it was in a big box so that's OK as far as The Fun Detector is concerned.  Aeroclub Shackleton AEW2 conversion kit required careful smuggling on the basis of the cost/box size ratio!
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter