Longest time you've had a project 'on the bench'?

Started by tanktastic43, September 01, 2010, 03:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanktastic43

I've been inspired to complete an idea I started back in 1993!
I started to convert a tank turret and now i'm in the mood for finishing the whole lot.

Anyone else out there with an unfinished 'long term' project?

tt43.

TsrJoe

i have projects sitting here for 10 years or even more, some abandoned, some the interest waned after scratchbuilding the fun parts, others stil awaiting information or inspiration to complete  :wacko: many many more ill admit to have been sitting for over a year or three too  :blink:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

PR19_Kit

I started to build a RW RCAF F-104G in the summer of 1970, that was '833, the first all-over Tiger Scheme aircraft. For various reasons it didn't get finished till the Telford show of 1996! So that took me 26 years to finish..........  :lol:

I don't think I've got any Whiffs that have remained un-finished for that long yet, but there's a few that are getting there......
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

anthonyp

Couple years, but my dad has his last one that he started still sitting on the bench 30 years later.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

kitnut617

Got a few myself, I get to a point where I've figured out the challenges, then it get's shelved
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

dragon

Quote from: tanktastic43 on September 01, 2010, 03:21:39 PM
I've been inspired to complete an idea I started back in 1993!
I started to convert a tank turret and now i'm in the mood for finishing the whole lot.

Anyone else out there with an unfinished 'long term' project?

tt43.

Yes, but now you can claim that you have a project that was started last century, before the Internet became fun.
:cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Weaver

Well technically the Millenium Falcon model up the attic has been "in progress" for 24-ish years, although to be fair, that covers a long period of thinking I'd given up modelling entirely......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

thedarkmaster

I recently ( a couple of months ago ) finished a DC10 that i started before i left school, considering i left school in 1982 thats at least 28 years that i had been intending to get it done one day  ;D :tank: ;D ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Spey_Phantom

longest time, that has to be my 1/72 Argentine SU-22. was on the bench for 2 years  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

I've still got stuff on the go (or still in the hangar) I started 5/6 years ago. Making an effort to get one hangar queen completed every time I start a new bunch  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ChernayaAkula

My longest in-progress build that I actually intend to finish is a Revell 1/35 Panzerhaubitze 2000. Started it the day it came out (no, really! No stash hoarding back then! :rolleyes:), but haven't finished it yet. That would make it around 10 years, I guess.

The other two were stared for the Unofficial Armour GB on ARC a few years back. Needless to say, they're still in the state depicted above.  :rolleyes:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Steel Penguin

a DSV1 liberator, around 10-12 years, i built it when i realy wanted to build that kit, and was happy  both building and when it was finished.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Nick

Try this... Fujimi 1/72 F-14 Tomcat. Given to me on my 13th birthday, started soon after. 19 years later it's still not finished.  :banghead:

Alvis 3.14159

1/48th Tamiya Dambuster Lancaster, bought sometime in 1975 or 1976. It's aboot half done, and gets dragged out every couple years to get looked at, with intent to finish. So far, no soap!

So that's aboot 35 years or so. Damn, I'm getting old.

Alvis Pi

Hobbes

Longest for me was 10 years, for a Hasegawa Jaguar/TWR XJ-S.  Some problem would crop up and I'd put it aside until I knew how to solve it. The first attempt at painting the body was a disaster, so I spent several years learning how to spray-paint. The floorpan was warped, making it near-impossible to assemble. Etc. Finished it in 2004.