Libyan AF enquiry.......

Started by Army of One, September 04, 2010, 02:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

Dear all......I have been, for the last few hours while at work, been trying to see what the Libyan AF fighter/attack force comprises from 2006-present....I think they still operate the Mirage F1,possibly the Mirage 5 but some sources say they were sold to Pakistan in 2007. I have found pics from 2009 showing some delapadated Mig 25's interceptor and recon models...are they still used? They also appear to use Mig 21 UTI's and Mig 23 both single and tandem versions. Are the Su 22's they use still in service? I have also found pics of Su 24's....just interested as to what would be flying and when in the timeframe given......printed lots of pics out re colour schemes from Airliners.net and they have dates of pic taken...any help/pointers to site would be appreciated as my fingers hurt at the mo....I am still at work til 7am...many thanks in advance.....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

GTX

That's a big question...can we break it up a bit please.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Army of One

Greg....thanks....all I am after is what should I be modelling for frontline Libyan AF from 2006-present...only a few examples...I have a Su22,Su24,Mig 25,Mig 23 and a Mirage F1.....purely as an adversarry force for something I have in mind....many thanks...H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

cafe

Current order of battle of the Libyan Air Force according to Air Forces Monthly's august issue:

(fighter and fighter/bomber squadrons + Mi-35 units)

- 1040 sqn -> MiG-23MLD/UB (Benghazi/Benina AFB)
- 10xx sqn -> MiG-23MLD/MS/UB (Benghazi/Benina AFB)

- 10x9 sqn -> L-39ZO (Brach/El Beida/Labraq AFB)
- 10x3 sqn -> Mig-23MLD/MS/UB (Brach/El Beida/Labraq AFB)

- 1050 sqn -> Mig-23MLD/MS/UB (Al Bumbah AFB)
- 1021 sqn -> MiG-21Bis/MF/UM (Al Bumbah AFB)
- 10xx sqn -> MiG-23 MLD/MS/UB (Al Bumbah AFB)

- 1015 sqn -> Mirage F1ED/BD (Tobruk - Okda bin Nafi AFB)
- 1032 sqn -> Su-22M-3K/UM-3 (Tobruk - Okda bin Nafi AFB)

- 1124 sqn -> Su-24MK/MR (Ghurdabiyah - Sirte/Gurdabiyah AFB)
- 1022 sqn -> Su-22M-3K/UM-3 (Ghurdabiyah - Sirte/Gurdabiyah AFB)
- 1335 sqn -> Mi-35 (Ghurdabiyah - Sirte/Gurdabiyah AFB)

- 1090 sqn -> MiG-23MLD/MS/UB (Misurata/Misratah AFB)

- 1060 sqn -> MiG-23UB (Gamal Abdel-Nasser AFB)
- 13xx sqn -> Mi-35/Mi-8 (Gamal Abdel-Nasser AFB)

- 1023 sqn -> MiG-23MLD/UB (Umm Aitiqah/Metiga AFB)
- 1039 sqn -> L-39ZO (Umm Aitiqah/Metiga AFB)

The MiG-25 were withdrawn from use by 2004 and between 50 to 70 Mirage 5 were shipped to Pakistan in 2003-2004.

The photos in the article show some Mi-8/Mi-17, 2 Mi-14, a MiG-23MLD, a Mirage F1BD, a Su-24, a Su-22M-3K, a MiG-21UM, some L-39ZO, 2 C-130, some L-410, an Il-76 (with civilian registration), a CH-47, an An-32P Firekiller, a Soko G2 Galeb, 2 SF260WL, an An-74 and a Mi-35 (+ 2 Mirage 5 fuselages in Pakistan).

Army of One

Well.............what can I say....other than a big thanks.......sorta counts the Mig 25 outta of what I was thinking......but as everyone keeps saying....this is whiff world....or stuff similar.....and if I get round to a back story and I say that the Libyans retired them in 2007 then they did.....!! Surprised that the Su 24's aren't used anymore....or maybe in my story they are...!!.....Anyhoo....a big thanks again to Mr C.....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

cafe

Oops, no, they're still used by 1124 sqn. The Su-42MK/MR is a typo. It should be Su-24. I'll edit my first answer.

Army of One

Mr C...... :bow:....again many thanks..... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Army of One on September 04, 2010, 05:22:29 PM
Mr C...... :bow:....again many thanks..... :thumbsup:

Thanks from me too! Been looking at African air forces lately and this is a huge help  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

anthonyp

Tobruk and Benghazi...  those names bring back fond memories of the computer game Harpoon and what I used to do to those bases using a single USN CVBG.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Army of One

I was just wondering if I should get the last couple of Revell Mirage F1's in my local MZ as they are still £4.99....bargain!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!