'Panzer '46' ... E.10, E.50, E.75, E.100, etc.

Started by TsrJoe, September 09, 2010, 01:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

Quote from: TsrJoe on September 10, 2010, 05:58:54 PM
Pz.1b with Holzgasantrieb gas generator unit (based upon a photograph of showing 3 examples in Berlin 1945)
1/35 scale model by Sidney Ellerington

Holzgasantrieb?  Is it for propulsion fuel?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

ChernayaAkula

Holzgas is wood gas. CLICKY! You gassify wood and get a gas you can fuel a combustion engine with.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

dy031101

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on September 11, 2010, 06:50:10 AM
Holzgas is wood gas. CLICKY! You gassify wood and get a gas you can fuel a combustion engine with.

Cool!  :thumbsup:

The Wikipedia entry states that it was "quite popular" in some Asian countries during WWII.  I wonder what that means in terms of technical sophistication of the technology......

Granted, it appears that its military applications tend to be limited to lighter AFVs, and they all seemed to come with a tall gasifier cylinder...... which likely would constitute a weakness if used in battle tanks.

====================

To-do list here

The Wooksta!

I remember the photo of that Panzer I conversion being posted here on the site and I remember saying it was a modified Panzer I.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

raafif

QuoteWikipedia entry states that it was "quite popular" in some Asian countries during WWII.

that probably only applies to British areas like Singapore ?

It was very popular in civil circles in England & Germany in WW2 -- many busses (single- & double-deckers), taxis, private cars, vans & trucks used coal- or wood- gas.  The English ones had a big canvass bag on the roof to store the coal-gas while German vehicles had a vertical boiler-like stove to burn the wood onboard.

There's a wartime civil Opel sedan (a 1943 model, I think) still being driven in Germany by its owner (since new & never off the road) on its coal-gas unit -- from memory it requires stoking 10 minutes before travelling & goes well (at a lower top speed than on petrol) as long as you plan your journey & keep topping up with wood (usually roadside picket fences apparently).

In Tanks I think the Holzgas usage is limited to training & "desperate" usage.  There were Tiger 1's & Panthers with 4 gas bottles on the rear deck which saw action in the last weeks of the war outside their training grounds.  Those "active duty" Pz-1 SP's in Berlin clearly had burners & the cylindrical things at the side-rear might be additional gas-bottles to reliably stretch their endurance.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Aircav

"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

TsrJoe

'one of' range observation vehicles based upon 8a specially built 4 axle and converted half track chassis
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

Pz.IV based missile launch vehicles,  possible surface to surface 'Frog' type predecessor and Rheintochter III mobile aa. missile launcher (possible projects? no further information known?)

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

dy031101

Quote from: raafif on September 12, 2010, 05:51:11 PM
In Tanks I think the Holzgas usage is limited to training & "desperate" usage.  There were Tiger 1's & Panthers with 4 gas bottles on the rear deck which saw action in the last weeks of the war outside their training grounds.

I think I have found pictures of Tiger I tank fitting such descriptions here.

What's the difference between actually including a gasifier unit and only carrying gas bottles in performance, tactical, and logistical terms?

(I am not wondering as much why converted Tiger and Panther didn't carry gasifier units as why converted Panzer I/II and halftracks did......)

I'm curious how the gas bottles connect to the engine of the Tiger tank, too......

====================================================================

Quote from: TsrJoe on September 13, 2010, 10:30:45 AM
'one of' range observation vehicles based upon 8a specially built 4 axle and converted half track chassis

Is the camera angle playing tricks on me for the second photo, or was it actually widened compared to standard halftracks?

====================

To-do list here

TsrJoe

DKM.44 28cm mobile cannon with 'Bengal Tiger' transport chassis, author Friedrich Georg has this as a possible precursor to the US. T.131 'atomic cannon' which saw deployment to Germany during the 1950's (with a few accidents due to the narrowness of country roads)

TsrJoe

the P.1500 80cm 'Monster' (mobile 'Dora') weighing a conservative 1500 tons this was purely a design thought study and was never seen as a serious design proposal. Along with the P.1000 'Ratte' of around 1000 tons and mounting two 280mm guns in a naval turret (it was designed to utilise turrets from the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau warships!) these designs were seen as an ultimate extrapolation in 'mobile' bombardment artillery

http://strangevehicles.greyfalcon.us/ratte.html
http://strangevehicles.greyfalcon.us/Tiger%20Projekt%20NM.htm

TsrJoe

Raumpanzer Tiger (P) design for a demolition vehicle for urban warfare? based upon converted VK.4501 (Elefant type) chassis

TsrJoe

'Bengal Tiger' with 'Henschel type' turret mounting L.68 10.5cm gun

TsrJoe

Marder II with Pak.40 and fitted with infra red searchlight and spotting scope
does anyone know of any other illustrations of this vehicle? i think it may be a range prototype?, note the overall 'panzer grey' finish and S prefix digit

TsrJoe

'Great Wall Hobby' kit of the SWS. armoured half track fitted with 60cm 'Uhu' type infra red searchlight