cadet series Enterprise E

Started by noxioux, September 09, 2010, 01:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noxioux

This is the new cadet series version from Polar Lights.  It went together pretty good, but in my haste I made a few boo-boo's.  I painted this one silver, to try and accent the aztec decals.  It just so happens, exactly the opposite happened, but I'm really pleased with the look anyhow.  I kinda prefer it this way, and may do the others in a similar fashion.  We'll see when it comes painting time.

Overall, the cadet kits seem pretty OK.  I picked up the early enterprise set (with the original, the refit and the B versions), and the Enterprise-D version.  The D had two MASSIVE ejector pin holes on the pylons holding the warp nacelles, but was otherwise pretty darn good.  The others have minor problems with gaps and twists, etc. . .  And they're going a lot slower than the E went.  Pics of those to follow soon. . .

I don't know about you folks, but I'm really glad to be seeing these affordable, mainstream sci-fi kits from Polar Lights.  I'm gonna buy the hell out of them, just as a matter of principle.

:cheers:

sotoolslinger

Purty :thumbsup: Never heard of these. Thanks for the tip :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

RotorheadTX

Looks nice to me.   :thumbsup:

Just tell the hardcore fans that it's right out of construction, and hasn't been to the shipyard paint-shop yet. LOL

EDIT: IMHO it has a family resemblance to the NX-Enterprise, so that adds to the cool factor too!

Taiidantomcat

Not the biggest trekkie myself, but its a nice looking ship and a great model there, Noxious  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

noxioux

Thanks fellas.  I'm thinking I may do the rest of them that way, just for laughs.  After all, would painting a starship really be worth the effort/expense?  I bet a few months out, and they'd start looking pretty rough.

Devilfish

According to Montgomery Scott's guide to the Enterprise, When the refit was carried out on the original Enterprise (ST:TMP) the ship wasn't painted, the "aztecing" coming from the colours of the various alloys used to build the ship......

noxioux

More of the rest of the cadet series.  First up is the various Enterprises (minus the "B" version, which is still on the bench).

Then two shots of the D model, which I think looks quite good in bare metal.

I have the original series version done, but no pics yet.  Hopefully I'll have the refit and the B model done soon.  All in all, I think I prefer the bare metal look. . .

Taiidantomcat

You sold me on bare metal with that D version. Talk about pizazz!  :wub: beats the boring old gray version by a ton!!

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

noxioux

My feelings exactly!  I wasn't really sure on the D, but after I hit it with the matte clear it just popped for me.  I'm also liking the decision to use clear red over the metal for the bussard collectors, and metallic blue on the warp nacelles.  It looks particularly good on the TOS Enterprise, although I'm wishing I had some azteking for that one as well.

I have the refit sprayed in BMF, and the "B" ready for primer.  Should have the lot of them done here, possibly over the weekend. . .  I think the refit may be the one that fights me on the bare metal, but we'll see once the azteking decals go down.

I may have to spring for a 1/2500 NX-01 now, and break down and do the "C" version to have the whole set in a single display.  But I hate the "C" Enterprise. . .

PS:  For some reason, the refit enterprise just refuses to be built without some kind of drama.  For whatever reason, every version I've built has had some kind of major hiccup.  Maybe that's why I'm so skittish about finishing my 1/350 refit. . .

chrisonord

so which one is going to be converted into a muskie lure then?? :lol:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Mossie

Nice looking kits!  I'd like to think they stay reasonably priced when they get to the UK but I'm sure they'll be marked up.

If you hate the C but want to have it in your collection, why not do it battle damaged or destroyed, since that was it's fate?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

noxioux

I think the E would be the best for muskie. . .

I broke down and got the C.  I still don't like it, but excluding it from the collection isn't really reasonable.  I had some thoughts on a conversion to make it more like the Probert version, but not certain I want to.

However, I do seem to have lost one of the bussard collectors, so I may not have any choice but to do some bashing. . .

I'll have photo updates here shortly.  I have the refit and TOS completed, and the B is about 90% complete.  As I work on the C, I'll probably start working out some kind of display.  Need to go find some clear acrylic rod. . .

noxioux

Got 'em all finished up.  All I'm missing is an NX-01, and I'll probably have to do a gut check and get a resin one in this scale.  Although that might cost more than all the others put together. . .

The C actually has grown on me just a little bit.  I picked up another kit, and I'll be doing some hack and slash to make it a little more to my liking.

Anyway, the metallic finish worked the best on the D and C models, I think.  The A and the B probably were the ones that didn't work out all that hot.  Although I'm pretty pleased with the results.  Piccies:

Taiidantomcat

Everyone of them looks great. Hard to pick a favorite (neat seeing your other models in the background as well  :thumbsup:)

MiB

Awsome job, Trekkie! And where is the NX-01?
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"