a French paint question.........

Started by beowulf, September 11, 2010, 02:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

im about to start my vive la france whiff but im a bit stuck on something..........

i plan on doing it in the 2 tone brown camo scheme like this Mirage...........

......but does anyone know the correct paint numbers to use?.......prefrably Revel Aquas or Tamiya.....i just cant find any references anywhere

muchos gracias in advance....or should that be murky buckets  ;D
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Maverick

Beowulf,

Don Colour gives the colours as Brun Noisette & Brun Cafe (accent on the last 'e' there).  It doesn't specify paint callouts, but I think Heller would have the relevant colours via Humbrol etc.  I haven't got my Heller paint charts here unfortunately, so I can't be more specific but if you or someone on the site has, I'd suggest that would be a good starting point.

HTH,

Mav

Geoff

The cream colour is close to Humbrol Acrylic RC 424 which is in their Rail Colours paints. I am using it on a Gina at the moment, but havn't decided on a good match for the brown yet.
The RC 424 is quite transparent and needs a few coats.
GeoffP

Edit - Tamia XF-79 Linoleum Deck Brown looks a bit like the brown in the bottle, but will probably need to be tinted down a bit.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Not what you specifically asked, I know, but Hannants have all three tones (including the underside grey/blue), in their Xtracolour enamel range.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

beowulf

thanks ian.....might be a useful lead.....any idea as to the ref numbers?.....still rather use revell/tamiya closest match tho .......never got on with xtracolour
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I'll do some digging tonight - see what I can find.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Gondor

A question I thought might be best to tag onto the end of this topic as its the nearest topic I could find.....

I am building a modern French Air Force jet. I have the Underside color but do not know what to use for the upper sides. Grey and Dark Green is what they are, but which ones?

Looking forward to your help and I have tried the IPMS Sweden site before asking.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

AFAIK they're the standard NATO Dark Green and Grey. I used those for a RW Mirage IVP that I built and no JMNs have berated me over it.

I could well be wrong of course.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Slerski

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 11, 2012, 04:00:27 PM
AFAIK they're the standard NATO Dark Green and Grey. I used those for a RW Mirage IVP that I built and no JMNs have berated me over it.

I could well be wrong of course.  ;D

Hum, not exactly NATO Dark Green and Grey, but pretty much close (we have the paints at the base and I haven't seen a difference ;D)
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Slerski on April 11, 2012, 10:46:02 PM
Hum, not exactly NATO Dark Green and Grey, but pretty much close (we have the paints at the base and I haven't seen a difference ;D)

Is there a correct French designation for them Slerski? I do love the French paint descriptions for the WWII coloure, 'gris-blue fonce' for instance.  ;D (I hope I got it right...........)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

lancer

Have you looked at the Lifecolor range?? They do a range of sepcefic French AF colours. I've just checked my comparison chart.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Slerski

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 12, 2012, 05:23:28 AM
Quote from: Slerski on April 11, 2012, 10:46:02 PM

Is there a correct French designation for them Slerski? I do love the French paint descriptions for the WWII coloure, 'gris-blue fonce' for instance.  ;D (I hope I got it right...........)

Yes they have a "correct" designation (which is the name of the paint... we are very imaginative ;) ).

AFAIK : For Mirage IIIE/R/RD (and Mirage F1CR/CT), it's "Gris Bleu Foncé" (Dark Blue-Grey) and "Gris Vert Foncé" (Dark Green-Grey).
For the late models of Mirage IIIC (and Mirage F1C/B) it's "Gris Bleu" (Blue-Grey). All of them have a "Aluminium Mat" (Matt Aluminium) underside (except of Mirage F1CT which have a wrap-around scheme).
For desert scheme it's a little more complicated...

NARSES2

Quote from: Slerski on April 13, 2012, 06:25:44 AM

But what a beautifull scheme  :wub: I'm doing 2 WWII French aircraft based in Syria at the moment. They are part of the French Middle East AF fighting with the RAF against Turkey and will have a sheme similar to the current desert one  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Slerski

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 13, 2012, 07:34:39 AM
Quote from: Slerski on April 13, 2012, 06:25:44 AM

But what a beautifull scheme  :wub:

Yes a beautiful scheme :) We had two-tone scheme on Mirage III, then two-tone with F1 but not the same colors and then an experimental three-color scheme and finally a four-color scheme (used by F1CRs in Red Flag)