Ta 183/what-if Dora build thread

Started by matrixone, September 13, 2010, 03:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Here are some in-progress pics of my new what-ifs: Ta 183, Fw 190D-9 'heavy armor' and Fw 190D-13 big tail.

The Ta 183 is from Tamiya and a reboxing of the old Amtech kit. I have made some small changes to the kit, the main gear legs have been cut and a section removed and the legs were glued back together again, also I will be using Fw 190 wheels from a Tamiya kit instead of the kits wheels. I am doing this because the Amtech kit sits too high up and is level, the drawings of the Ta 183 from Focke-Wulf shows they would have sat on the ground in a nose high attitude.
Below is a pic of the cockpit...

Here is my Fw 190D-9 'heavy armor' being built from the Dragon kit and is a standard D-9 except for the added wing cannon. This model will be marked as one from a Zerstorer unit.
The camouflage paint has been added and it will be given a gloss coat soon so I can start putting decals on it.

The unpainted Dora with the big tail in the background will be painted and marked as a what-if D-13, I am thinking of making this one an aircraft operated by JG 301.

Matrixone

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

matrixone

Thanks Moritz and Taiidantomcat!

The painting on the Dora was done with my Iwata Revolution BR airbrush, the best airbrush for spraying model paints I have ever used.

Matrixone

Army of One

Some great work there Mr M.... :thumbsup:....waitin to see them finished.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Gondor

D-9 BIG TAIL matrixone????? Does that mean the Ta 152 tail or the tail planes?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

Thank you Army of One!

Gondor,
Just the tail, not the entire tailplane.
The Fw 190D with the big tail in the background of these pics is a D-13 not a D-9, look at the nose of it and you will see the smooth gun cowl and large supercharger airscoop which are common on D-11 and D-13 aircraft. The big tail is what makes this one a what-if, no D-13s are known to be built with the big tail. I think the JG 301 markings with the red and yellow tail bands are attractive and will be painting my model in these type of markings, camo will be light green undersurfaces and 82/83 uppersurfaces.

Update:
The Ta 183 was given its coat of light green for the sides and undersurfaces, the rest of the camo will be painted tommorow.
My D-9 has its gloss coat on now and is drying. No pics in this update...not much to see right now.

Matrixone

Gondor

Sounds like an interesting scheme for the -13 Matrixone, as ever I look forward to further pictures of your work as inspiration for my own Fw-190 builds.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

Thanks Gondor!

My Fw 190D-13 will get camouflage just like the late production Doras that were built by Mimetall.

Decals are on my D-9 heavy metal now, I should get most of the camouflage painting on the Ta 183 finished later today.

Matrixone

matrixone

Some in-progress pics.

The Ta 183 has its camo paint on now, 82/83 for the uppersurfaces and light green for the undersurfaces. Like the Dora this was airbrushed freehanded.

Decals are on the D-9, the markings are for one of the Zerstorer units. The prop is also built and painted but not glued to the fuselage yet.

My Fw 190D-13 big tail (not pictured) had to have the wing roots filled and sanded again so no camo paint was added to it so far.

Matrixone

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dumaniac

Matrizone - looks tops - love it - dumaniac

Taiidantomcat

Man what a finish! from the perfect prop spinner to the fine camo splotches  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

matrixone

Thanks very much NARSES2, dumaniac, and Taiidantomcat!

No updates for a few days, I have to get my UI claim started, I have been out of work for nearly a month now and no money coming in so I better get my UI claim sorted out. Not sure when I might get more done on these models, between fighting off depression and getting my UI going it is uncertain when I will feel up to do any modeling.

Matrixone

matrixone

Some in-progress pics of my builds...the Ta 183 has its markings on now and both models have most but not all of the weathering done on them, the rest of the weathering will need to be done when the models are nearly finished. As you can see in these pics most of the small bits are painted and ready to be installed on these models, I might have them finished this Friday.

Not seen but also being built is my new photobase, much of the work involves improving some of the really cheap trees I bought a while ago, I can't afford to throw them out and buy better quality trees now.

Matrixone