Ta 183/what-if Dora build thread

Started by matrixone, September 13, 2010, 03:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

It's a joy to watch your work all come together sir  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

matrixone

Thanks guys!

I will try and have another update on these models soon.

Matrixone

matrixone

Thanks Pablo1965!

No in-progress pics today but here is an update on these models...I have glued the landing gear legs on the Ta 183 and found out I did not shorten the main landing gear legs quite enough for the model to have the proper nose high 'sit' to it. Next Ta 183 I build will get a much longer section of the landing gear legs removed!

My Dragon Fw 190D-9 kit also had the gear legs added to it but not without a glitch, as I was gluing the landing gear doors to the legs one side fit perfectly the other side did not match up very well, I checked the gear legs and they were the same length so I compared the landing gear doors to each other and one was longer than the other and I had to remove the top mounting lugs and shorten the gear door to get it to fit. This Dragon kit was defective with some of the sprues and parts warped from heat and the kit was supposed to be a Fw 190D-12 with the big tail but once I opened up the box I found the standard sprues of a D-9 with parts for a torpedo thrown in, the instruction sheet was for the Fw 190D-12 Torpedo Flugzeug and not the D-9 sprues that came in the box. I was ripped off bigtime on this one! :banghead:
I have three other Dragon kits of the Fw 190D-12 Torpedo Flugzeug and all of them have the correct sprues in the boxes.

Matrixone

Pablo1965

I have three other Dragon kits of the Fw 190D-12 Torpedo Flugzeug and all of them have the correct sprues in the boxes.

Matrixone
[/quote]

Well I am sure everybody are waiting for the new 190D

matrixone

Thanks again Pablo1965.
This Dora that I have been working has been cursed right from the start and looks like it will be trouble to the end of the build, sure this kit had some problems with it but there are other small problems with the fit of some of the larger parts (my fault) and I messed up when I put the Future clear coat on it, I had never used Future as a clear coat before and put it on too heavy and had to mop up some drips when it started to run. This model will be a ''three footer'' for sure! ;D

BTW, look at the trim tab on the left elevator of the Dora, it should be one solid piece not two small ones...that is how the part was in the box, a short shot, there were other parts in the kit that either warped or a short shot.

Matrixone

Pablo1965

Quote from: matrixone on September 29, 2010, 02:28:50 PM
Thanks again Pablo1965.
This Dora that I have been working has been cursed right from the start and looks like it will be trouble to the end of the build, sure this kit had some problems with it but there are other small problems with the fit of some of the larger parts (my fault) and I messed up when I put the Future clear coat on it, I had never used Future as a clear coat before and put it on too heavy and had to mop up some drips when it started to run. This model will be a ''three footer'' for sure! ;D

BTW, look at the trim tab on the left elevator of the Dora, it should be one solid piece not two small ones...that is how the part was in the box, a short shot, there were other parts in the kit that either warped or a short shot.

Matrixone

With the Future or Klear (is the same) is better use thin coat, I used two or three very thin coats, to prevent the drop reliefs, I fear thats problems.

matrixone

Thanks Pablo1965,
Yes I was too heavy handed the first time I tried spraying the Future, when I sprayed the Ta 183 with it I had much better results.

Here are more in-progress pics of these models, they are very close to being finished so this will be the last of the in-progress pics of these two models.

The Ta 183...

Fw 190D-9 ''heavy armor''

The D-9 has more paint chipping/scratching done to it than it looks like, the poor lighting conditions today makes this hard to see in these pics, the flat clear coat will help the distressed paint job be more easily seen. I really wanted this one to look very used and worn out.

I have two other what-ifs that are in-progress but will not have pics of them until they are finished, I think you guys might like them. ;)

Matrixone

Taiidantomcat

These really look good, all the staining looks great  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Pablo1965

Gondor

Absolutely outstanding as always Matrixone

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

matrixone

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments.

These models should be finished by the end of the day.

Matrixone