The Massive Taiidan Thread

Started by Taiidantomcat, September 14, 2010, 09:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PetarB

Some absolutely crazy awesome work going on here.

:tornado:

Makes me want to build another HomeWorld ship. I was considering a Taiidan scout, but the Turanic Raiders, especially the missile corvette are quite appealling as well, with their mad barbarian colourscheme.

Anyway, your styrene bulkheads look fantastic. I can't wait to see more.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: PetarB on September 01, 2011, 06:15:12 PM
Some absolutely crazy awesome work going on here.

:tornado:

Makes me want to build another HomeWorld ship. I was considering a Taiidan scout, but the Turanic Raiders, especially the missile corvette are quite appealling as well, with their mad barbarian colourscheme.

Anyway, your styrene bulkheads look fantastic. I can't wait to see more.

Thank you Petar! I would vote for the Taiidan scout, but its a tough vote and since you have already down a Taiidan ship, the missile corvette would be wonderful. Coin toss I suppose! I just look forward to seeing whatever you pick  :thumbsup:

rattlebombed pieces. That sketch in the middle is so I don't lose track of what goes where  :rolleyes: Painting the Taiidan scheme is difficult because unlike an airplane model, where its pretty much just the ordnance, landing gear, and canopy painted secondary and added later, a ton of pieces are painted first then added on later. So you can be done with painting and still not be close to finishing!  :lol:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

saintkatanalegacy

Ivylicious!™

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: saintkatanalegacy on September 05, 2011, 08:24:25 AM
SKL intervenes :mellow:

lo and behold

I was just thinking about taking a fifth gen stealthy fighter and making it Taiidan, what do we have here SKL?  :cheers:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Taiidantomcat

fins. the black pieces are legos with a little metal to bring them together and add strength. The red balls are Lego Sockets

Just a great screenshot^

In the game, Fighters and Corvettes fold their fins for better stowage aboard ship, just like real world navies.  compare with the deployed fins in the picture above this one.

Test fits:

Deployed^

Stowed^

;D I used lego ball/socket joint so the fins can be moved! (I only have so much space myself!  ;) )

saintkatanalegacy

speaking of screenshots

here's something from a Russian game I used to play

this one from SoSE

Ivylicious!™

Pablo1965

Taiidantomcat

I like those Ivy  :thumbsup:

Thanks Pablo  :cheers:

I downloaded Pepakura Designer, which is a Japanese program that takes 3D video game objects and converts them to make 2d paper printouts that can then be folded to Make papermodels. I found a site that has every homeworld ship in one big file and Downloaded it  :wacko: This is the front to an interceptor, I cut it out and folded it very quickly and imperfectly so I could get an idea of its size... Still looks very cool. Papermodels are extremely popular with Homeworld fans, Might have to do a few more myself very fun so far.

They are also very helpful to modelers because you can use them and transfer them to styrene! Serious time savers too, instead of spending hours trying to make something look like a part, you can just get the genuine article, size it to your liking and build it up. Faster and more accurate?! Sign me up!  :drink:

an in game shot of an interceptor^

Pablo1965

Taiidantomcat

Copied some parts and then glued them onto some cardboard before cutting them out (took forever!) But these pieces are so helpful. I can know trace them onto sheet styrene cut and fold.

:cheers:

philp

You ought to start a thread over in the SFSF theme build, I am just saying.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: philp on October 05, 2011, 12:00:43 AM

Will do, I have a lot going and a lot in the start stage, So I was debating about what I should include over in the TB, especially if I don't think it will be finished by deadline.  :-\  Might as well throw it all in though  ;D ;)

Pablo1965

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on October 05, 2011, 09:23:06 AM

Will do, I have a lot going and a lot in the start stage, So I was debating about what I should include over in the TB, especially if I don't think it will be finished by deadline.  :-\  Might as well throw it all in though  ;D ;)

If I understand well, I must said... Please, don´t throw it  all! I was follow the thread closely. I want see the end step.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Pablo1965 on October 05, 2011, 02:12:19 PM
Quote from: Taiidantomcat on October 05, 2011, 09:23:06 AM

If I understand well, I must said... Please, don´t throw it  all! I was follow the thread closely. I want see the end step.

No worries  :thumbsup: by "throw it in" I meant moving some of the projects here also:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,33637.0.html

That clear tape is essential. I put it on the back of all the folding pieces, If I don't the folds will crack the styrene and the pieces will come off-- Creating a nightmarish puzzles with many pieces!

Fin

Folded fin

progress after many hours

:cheers:

Pablo1965

Congratulations, long hours, but well used.  :blink: :thumbsup:  :bow: :bow: