The Massive Taiidan Thread

Started by Taiidantomcat, September 14, 2010, 09:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pablo1965

Good work, I wait the next step... and...pin-up

Taiidantomcat

Been far too long since I updated this (believe me its not from a lack of desire  :banghead: )

Sorry its a tad blurry  :-\ I got some wiggly eyes from the craft store for IR sensor heads and had the idea of making a kind of "super Maverick" like an AGM-65, using the Aim-54 Phoenix as a base  :wacko: More range, more warhead!

I have made about 8 or 9 of these so far, I really don't want to update this until I get some paintwork done on this stuff, you folks deserve some color!!

Thanks for stopping by  :cheers:

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ChernayaAkula

The wiggly eyes for the Super Mavericks are just inspired!  :lol:  :bow: Now the only thing it needs is a sharkmouth.  ;D
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

Thanks for the bump Mossie! and I am glad you like the missiles Moritz!

My computer went down a couple weeks ago and I was unable to upload any kind of pictures, that and life in general put this thread in a real bind. I am happy to say though that as of just yesterday, I am up and running again and have some pictures and thoughts to share  :thumbsup:

^These are some greeblies that I rattle bombed Gunship Gray. I noted that the gray appeared with a bit of a blue tint to is and I put some pieces primed with another color on them to see the difference. I Don't think I will repaint them, but it is interesting to see the color difference. Something I will have to think about in the future. As of right now these are the only update pics I have of the Taiidan Tomcats but I am still working on them slowly but surely

An abandoned 1/48 Academy Blackhawk with tail removed to make room for new engines. Plan on using as many pieces of spare and scrape styrene as possible and making this a Taiidan bomber of some sort.

some details of the Large hawk toy. these are styrene strips I added to cover gaps. Still A lot of work to do on this one, but I am at least moving in the right direction.

Despite all thats going on with all these projects I am considering starting yet another using either an F-15 or F-18. Thoughts? Comments?

In searching for some cool pictures to leave you with since (once again) I am not at the stage to show my own flashy colored models I found these:

All are based on Homeworld 2 ships and all are done by Mack Moraczewski. Well done Mack! These can be seen in more detail here: http://www.modelermagic.com/?cat=341

Thanks for stopping by and its great to be back :ph34r:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Taiidantomcat

Pearl Harbor day update

The other day I prayed for good weather... And I got it! Unfortunately I was not ready. I thought I had parts ready for primer and realized they were not at that stage yet. however I did get some parts primed and worked on drilling the holes for the tail fins because I am using brass rod to ensure strength. Kind of tricky getting everything to line up right. Heres the tailfins with brass pins:

I got an electric drill out and bored holes into the gear bays so I can secure the Lego pieces that will allow removable landing gear (Have to see how it looks in flight,of course!  :thumbsup:)

Since I can't prime and you all have been so patient I decided it was time to get a sneak peak of the major assemblies together:

Well, I am thrilled! I think it looks great so far, and it is very heartening to step back and see the progress that has been made!! Still a lot left to do but-- Wow!

I would love to hear everyone's questions, comments, ideas, suggestions, or anything else. I am wearing my internet body armor so you can be as harsh or as kind as you want, and I appreciate any suggestions even the "mean" ones  ;D.

Thanks for stopping by!

:cheers:

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Pablo1965

ChernayaAkula

Vertical stabs canted outward look soooo sexy on the Tomcat!  :wub:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

You are starting another Tomcat!

Yes, yes I am. This one is 1/72 and was originally inspired by TDMs The Empire's Twilight universe as his thread inspired me a lot. However, the panel lines are not up to snuff, so I got a different 1/72 Tomcat that will be used for that purpose later. In the mean time I had another Taiidan Idea that would not require a cockpit or canopy (I lost both!) and Something smaller and easier to manage while working out painting techniques. So its a small update but Its an important one. Thanks for stopping by  :thumbsup:

Taiidantomcat

Was looking forward to airbrushing this all weekend just to have the airbrush be completely uncooperative  :banghead: After nursing it along to do the preshading you see here, I gave it an extremely thorough cleaning. Hope to get the rest done tomorrow.

pyro-manic

Those canted tail fins look awesome on the Tomcat! Liking the big missile pods as well. And that's some really interesting pre-shading there. Did you use a hard edge and overspray to get that effect?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: pyro-manic on January 26, 2011, 10:28:03 AM
Those canted tail fins look awesome on the Tomcat! Liking the big missile pods as well. And that's some really interesting pre-shading there. Did you use a hard edge and overspray to get that effect?

Thanks! Yep I just used post-it notes and repositioned them a couple times. I really didn't want to do panel lines, and since the kit is raised detail that is going to be sanded off and the additional parts are scratch, I thought this would be the easier way to go. I like the effect I think it turned out pretty:

I think the paint was dodgy, because once again I had to work my tail off to get just a few seconds of paint flow  :banghead: Its not the airbrush because I used different paints (Tamiya) later on a separate model and they worked beautifully.

Anywho, Not a bad spread overall. The next step is coming up with a plan to paint the entire model, PetarB really raised the bar!

Taiidantomcat

Worked on the Intakes. I applied paint a bit too heavy so it ran under the masks, however the area is due for a wash so I am not that worried. I also checked the colors of the three yellow Rattle bombs I have on hand. the camel yellow is a little too orange, and the sun yellow is a bit too bright so the middle color is the winner so far...

This is a bit of a two forward one back exercise: The light bulb finally went on and I realized that I had been planning on masking and finishing the canopy before I could paint the Fuselage. This aircraft has no cockpit and relies on subassemblies, so I could have painted it all along!!  :banghead: :banghead: I finally primed it white and only then remembered I need to add a few more pieces.  :banghead: not bad overall though. I can scrape off some of the paint and glue them on when finished  :thumbsup:

Slow progress is still progress  ;D

sotoolslinger

Good to see this going again. Cool paint effect  :wub: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland