The Massive Taiidan Thread

Started by Taiidantomcat, September 14, 2010, 09:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pablo1965

Brilliant work. You cought the spirit :thumbsup:  :bow:

ysi_maniac

Just a question: do you like F-14?

BTW: love your short intruder! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: ysi_maniac on September 27, 2010, 05:38:50 PM
Just a question: do you like F-14?

BTW: love your short intruder! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks YSI! I am still working and I am (hopefully) just a few hours work away from having the first F-14 in mock up stage so everyone can see how it looks before I begin the complex plain scheme (Don't worry I have a Plan  :wacko: )

My Family is here for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta though and so I won't be able to actually work on anything for the next week! So my update today and for the next few days will simply be this pretty picture drawn for Homeworld's 10th anniversary by David Cheong:

Its not Taiidan, but boy it looks great!  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Pablo1965

Ideas, ideas and more ideas to the future proyect...THANKS :cheers: :drink: :thumbsup:

Taiidantomcat

About five years back I learned of the USMC's Digital Hornet and was instantly in love.  :wub:

For years I had the Idea of making a Taiidan version of Digital using the Taiidan Elite Colors. I figured that it would fit in perfectly with the intricate stripe patterns already present while adding camo at the same time. Well folks in whiff world if you stand still or wait too long you get beat:

And to be beaten by the US Navy of all people!!! Other than slight color changes this is what I had in mind-- At least I know it will look good  :cheers:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

chrisonord

WoW There's some stunning pics Taiidan :thumbsup:
Got to agree though that Hornet looks amazing dressed up like that.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

retro_seventies

Waiting with great excitement for the Tomcat reveal! 

:thumbsup:
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Mossie

I did this over a year ago, life, art, imitation & all that:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Mossie on October 03, 2010, 12:33:46 PM
I did this over a year ago, life, art, imitation & all that:

Thats perfect  :wub:

Mossie

Have a look through the Ka-58 profiles I did last year, although that's the only black/grey digital pattern I did (I did a similar one in more traditional camo as well), I did some others in different colours.  This one was the tightest pattern, there were some more loose ones, ones with two, three or four colours.  If you like any particular pattern, I can re-colour it for you if you want.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,24996.0.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PetarB

How life can be circular sometimes! I was looking for references for the taiidan interceptor I'm building, and I stumbled upon this thread. I signed up just to comment. Great work Taiidan Tomcat! This will be one of the more bizzare builds I've seen, but it's not lacking for ambition. I can't wait to see what you do here, looks like you're off to a great start already.
Regards, Petar

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: PetarB on October 04, 2010, 03:30:21 PM
How life can be circular sometimes! I was looking for references for the taiidan interceptor I'm building, and I stumbled upon this thread. I signed up just to comment. Great work Taiidan Tomcat! This will be one of the more bizzare builds I've seen, but it's not lacking for ambition. I can't wait to see what you do here, looks like you're off to a great start already.
Regards, Petar

Petar! Thank you so much! It means a lot my friend. You should start a thread for your Taiidan Interceptor here, I know folks here would love to see it, And besides whats one more post on one more board right?  ;D  (Plus we can get you nominated for our annual awards in the Sci Fi category!) Welcome Aboard!  :cheers:

Mossie, Those are excellent varieties of digital schemes! Thank you for the offer!  :bow: I will think of a few and get back to you. (sweet Ka-58s overall as well)

The designers in Homeworld were very clever and if you look at the pic below you will see a gray portion at the base of the top fin:

Look familiar? Follow that little zig zag line and tada!

Its the same as the F-117!! The fins are quite similar so it makes sense-- why reinvent the wheel? and besides an all moving tail is just plain cool!
Another neat feature is that the fins on the F-117 move independently. Now I don't plan on having the fins askew on this model (but I hope to do it in the future) but I wanted to at least incorporate the look so I scribed some lines on the fins using a poster board template:

I found this little guy while searching online:

Its a basic Lego creation (there are some amazing Homeworld Lego ships out there)  but I wanted to post it because its a reminder to me that you can achieve a Taiidan look with a fairly simple design, and I might do a few simple designs if only to practice the complex painting techniques on and get a break from the Tomcats occasionally  :thumbsup:

I have made a list of stuff to work on with this first Tomcat and I am still getting some work done despite the time crunch! I cant wait to finish it and pose it next to the first Tomcat just to the differences! Thanks for stopping and thanks for the comments and help Petar and Mossie!

Taiidantomcat

I had one of those funks were one gets a bit overwhelmed with details and has to take a few days off from modeling hence the late update. I will tell you though I sat at the bench yesterday and just had a ball, finally putting together those tons of (measure, remeasure, cut) pieces I had made and prepping others for paint.

Here are two pics of the Tailfins:

^Next to the first Taii Tomcat's very flat and one dimensional fin.^ I think the new version is much improved! Still working!

Something Jorel62 would love, This was done to look like the Taiidan Interceptor by Reiss on the Relic Forums:

I think it would be fun to add some Taiidan ladies to the models If i can... might mean actually putting some red and yellow clothes on regular nose art decals!

Pablo1965

In the massive Taiidan tread you have time for ladies...you are a phenomenon jajaja :cheers: I wait news  :thumbsup:

Taiidantomcat

Thanks Pablo!

Working on the wing boxes! Finally got one together with another in construction now:

Cut a 3CM length of styrene tube to make sure everything stays the proper width and to add strength

Here it is assembled. Some clean up to do, got some accidental overhangs on it.  :thumbsup:

Here is a look at the inside, complete with my cool serial killer style "penmanship" I used spare sprue, super glue and baking soda to add some strength to it. I will need it to be tough if I am going to be cutting, sawing and sanding on it. The last thing you want is to have it fall apart mid cleanup (Dont ask how I know this  :banghead: )

Here it is with a rough test fit just so you fine folks can see where I am going with this

Art by Mk01 on DeviantArt