The Massive Taiidan Thread

Started by Taiidantomcat, September 14, 2010, 09:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Love the wiggling guidance :lol:
Impressive work, indeed
:bow: :bow:
Will die without understanding this world.

Taiidantomcat

Some color studies I did about five years ago. I broke them out to plan the next steps on the main fuselage.

Game art of a Taiidan Heavy Corvette (this is one of the few pictures in the HW universe that gives any sense of scale!)

:cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Taiidantomcat

No responses? Ok moving on  ;D

I have invented a new dance called the Taiidan two step, I go two forward and then one back... over and over again  :banghead:

My expierence with yellow is fairly limited so i decided (stupidly) To paint gray on first then mask it, after that applying yellow. But yellow is a light color and the little tactic I had devised really works better for darker colors. So I took some 200o grit and decided to sand it down to remove some of the gray. As you can see I took some of it off. now to reapply the white and then later the yellow.

Oops! in some areas I sanded down to the plastic on the right fin. As you can see the spray paint cracked!! I watched it happen after I applied the first layer of paint! Yikes. I decided I will just mask it off and fix it later and continued to paint the rest of the model. Not too bad overall, but I am going to have to wait about 48 hours to apply the yellow, in order to give the white time to set up properly. In the future I will just hit it all with yellow and worry about the thin white and gray details after I have applied the red

The fins are looking good, and after this pic I applied Gloss in order to accept the squadron decals. I removed the mask on the center part there and it came out rather well so thats a plus. The gloss coat went on without a hitch until the New Mexico wind knocked the whole thing over, but It looks like everything had dried at that point so I just dusted it off and went on my way. Should have pictures of the first of many decals applied tomorrow!

First yellow on!! Bad lighting so it looks like greenish cromate  :blink: I didn't have to wait 48 hours on these because I painted them white weeks ago, so they were ready right off the bat.

Lots of stuff in flux but things are moving in the right direction and I think the finished fins will be a huge morale boost

:mellow:

Thanks for stopping by!  :cheers:

The business end of A Taiidan Destoyer. I love how the bridge is only on one side. Art by Norsehound

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

saintkatanalegacy

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on March 12, 2011, 05:11:38 PM

Some color studies I did about five years ago. I broke them out to plan the next steps on the main fuselage.

Game art of a Taiidan Heavy Corvette (this is one of the few pictures in the HW universe that gives any sense of scale!)

:cheers:

I thought you don't do profiles :P

go make profiles from now on!!! :wacko:
Ivylicious!™

Mossie

Looking good so far, hope the paint problems don't get out of hand.  Carry on that man! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sotoolslinger

Looking mighty sweet there 'Cat :wub: I am really looking forward to seeing this done. Great in progress shots :thumbsup: :wub:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: saintkatanalegacy on March 16, 2011, 07:53:36 PM

I thought you don't do profiles :P

go make profiles from now on!!! :wacko:

Believe me I don't... do you see how hard it was to stay in the lines there? Thats why I failed kindergarten so many times I lost count (inability to count also didnt help!)

Quote from: Mossie on March 17, 2011, 03:05:08 AM
Looking good so far, hope the paint problems don't get out of hand.  Carry on that man! :thumbsup:

I think I will just mask and paint the whole area seperately... its a space ship, so weathering or different panels arent bad and with homeworld the more complex looking the better. I just hope it doesn't happen again! I repaired it by sanding but once again I am down to the original plastic. I am thinking about brush painting some white on there to make a barrier, a suppose a clear gloss or flat would do the same.

Quote from: sotoolslinger on March 17, 2011, 07:06:06 AM
Looking mighty sweet there 'Cat :wub: I am really looking forward to seeing this done. Great in progress shots :thumbsup: :wub:

You and me both!! Wish I could have more progress to post!

I didn't make the proper sacrifice to the wind gods today so it is really going today which curtails any further rattle bombing, I have tried to do what I can today, including a couple decals! I think they look good and should look excellent with they overall yellow red scheme! These are the 1/32 VFA-113 emblems. I plan on masking the canopy today and getting some ordnance going . Still a lot to do on this but I am feeling good, and when the weather is kind I will get all the yellow on and start masking for the red!

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

So the weather was cooperative today... or so I thought. I had the main-- hull? Fuselage? All painted up then a gust of wind knocked the whole thing over scraping up a lot of it  :banghead: :banghead: The good news is only a few areas are in bad shape the rest will be easily fixed.

Picture of nose scrape^ I tried to sand it real quick and then carry on but the spray paint started to run out, so instead of a fine mist It started putting out big blobs of paint. I have decided to regroup. I will repair the damage tomorrow, and buy new paint tonight. I was planning on doing that this afternoon while SWMBO was running errands but just decided to take a breath and start fresh tomorrow.

I did successfully paint the tail fin bases, spoilers, and The big old spine box so that is good news. The old two forward, one back continues.

sotoolslinger

Dang the wind and the paint :banghead: Whatever that last image is though it is toooo cooool :mellow:
Is that a docking bay with massive gargoyles?
I amuse me.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: sotoolslinger on March 18, 2011, 03:00:17 PM
Dang the wind and the paint :banghead: Whatever that last image is though it is toooo cooool :mellow:
Is that a docking bay with massive gargoyles?

Here is the original cut scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sELgs_FNoG0&feature=related

Its the evil empire in the game, could be a docking station or a parade or just regular traffic. It is cool though someone is actually working on rendering the animals:

Glad you liked them  :thumbsup: Would make some good other worldly shark mouths I think

I repaired the yellow, today so I am going to give the model and myself some time so I can look at it with fresh eyes and decide if the damage is fixed or needs further repair

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

sotoolslinger

Most excellent thanks for that info. I want to pet the cute little doggies ;D :lol: :rolleyes:
I amuse me.

ChernayaAkula

These beasts remind me of the Chinese dragons you always see in pairs, one holding a paw/claw on a globe and the other holding a cub.

Lovely work on that tomcat! :thumbszp:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

Wind was too nasty to work on the Hind SKL  :angry: So:

Tape on (took 2 hours)

Tape off

Wonderful lines on the wing glove there, above it, not so much (but it can be fixed)

Intakes will need work... lovely picture though they look perfect-- but up close they are not.

Serious paint peel, but this section will be painted gray anyway so it will be easy to fix (may just put a little gray styrene square over it)

Removed the older masks, and they look pretty good. Decided to keep the other side on so I just have to re-mask this side when I paint the Nacelles dark gray.

Well how about that? Took two days ( I specifcally planned mask day, then paint day  :lol: ) But things are looking up. Starting to get the "just finish it Itis" Which is a good thing, this was supposed to be the quick and dirty version  :banghead: (I.E. no cockpit) in order to speed things up but I have been overly cautious and slow.

All in all though not a bad days work! i would give the last couple days a 9 out of 10 in terms of positive results, small errors here and there (may not even worry about them) but overall better than expected! As always folks thank you for stopping by and I hope to have more updates soon  :cheers: