The Massive Taiidan Thread

Started by Taiidantomcat, September 14, 2010, 09:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sotoolslinger

Most excellent work right there :wub: :thumbsup: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

saintkatanalegacy

mmmm... taiidany...

can't wait for the vaygr look ;D
Ivylicious!™

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

saintkatanalegacy

Ivylicious!™

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: saintkatanalegacy on April 20, 2011, 08:04:43 PM
needs moar red imho :wacko:

That would be the Vaygr elite scheme and it would be fun to build... Of course it helps when you make profiles  ;D

Proper gray undersides

Added Star Wars inspired "invasion stripes" not as intricate as I would like but I like the blue.

Ventral fins also got the blue treatment.

I am hoping the weather holds tomorrow so I can do some touchups, then its gloss coat and (lots of) decaling time!

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

PetarB

Wow that's crazy! And it looks like you got a nice yellow coverage. I do like that crumpled up masking tape - I know exactly how you felt when you finally had a ball of all that tape.
Anyway, take it slow, don't rush, you don't want to waste any of all of the effort you've already put in.
Looking forwards to the next update.

Taiidantomcat

Thanks petar!

Rattle bombed canopy - Still need to add the final frames to the windscreen

Decals, Decals and Decals. SWMBO and I worked on the subassemblies for about 4 hours total. Used Decal Sheets from 1/72 Blackbirds, 1/48 Tomcats, phantoms, A 1/32 p-38J and literally a half dozen other sheets from various kits and aftermarket sets. The tail fins alone have 11 decals each!

Getting very close to finishing this one!

:cheers:

:ph34r:

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Eddie M.

Man, I am diggin' this. Great paint work!!
Look behind you!

Pablo1965

Really, really awesome scheme. Congratulations! :ph34r: :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow:

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Brian da Basher

That's some absolutely monster, beyond-ordinary-mortal, super stunning paintwork my friend!

Excellente!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Taiidantomcat

Thanks  BdB, SoTool, Pablo, Eddie, and Mossie!! Your comments mean a lot! I appreciate each and every one of them  :cheers:

Intakes complete (Updating this as I wait for one of them to dry after gluing it. The other is warped and will be a real fight!  :wacko: ) Note the little white pieces of styrene for detail.

Landing gear weathered. Really happy with these. I feel like I am getting the hang of this wash stuff

Close up! Who doesn't love landing gear?  :rolleyes:

Engine cans, painted gloss white then hit with oil Ultramarine Blue. Its transparent which is cool because I think it creates a cool glowing effect

Top weathered with wash. I really didnt want it too grungy, so I am happy. You folks with the eagle eyes may have noticed the pieces added to the Nacelles there to cover the holes from removed fins.

Take a look at that cool Modified US Roundel on the wing!! Cut the star into a Taiidan Lambda. I only applied these to the underside. Why? I wanted to see how it would look, and I am betting that the Taiidan are the only folks in the Galaxy that paint their ships in bright red and yellow, so you should know who they are without squinting for a roundel! I didn't mind the underside being grungy since in real life that happens thanks to gravity... Ok, I know its a space fighter (wise guy) so gravity shouldn't be as big a factor but I still wanted the top to look relatively fresh. Overall, I Wanted the whole thing to look used but well maintained.

I am hoping to glue the intakes and Box on and then hit it with satin paint, again going for a kind of semi faded, kind of used, but still loved look. After that I want to do some light weathering with pastels on the vents and screens to create some Star Wars-esque light streaking... Anyone know how effective that will be on a semi gloss finish?  :unsure: Only done it on flat and it doesn't work at all on gloss! Guess I will just have to be patient.

:cheers:

ChernayaAkula

Wuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cool!  :bow:

You could lightly, v e r y, ever-so-lightly drybrush the nozzles with white to make the glowing effect really pop.

What's with all the LEGO parts? Are you producing your very own snap-fit kit? :lol:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?