The Massive Taiidan Thread

Started by Taiidantomcat, September 14, 2010, 09:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: saintkatanalegacy on June 28, 2011, 09:17:53 AM
I want that, the taiidan look and X-tails! :wacko:

all in one! ;D

Sounds good, I am moving towards it a bit at a time, I have a few other things in front of it at the moment but it is number 4 on the list of Taiidan stuff going on right now (Yes i have a list) LOL I also have a bad habit of dropping what I am doing to fulfill SKLs requests and I am working hard not to bump that to number 1 just yet!

Quote from: Brian da Basher on June 28, 2011, 02:08:05 PM
I'm watching with great interest and enjoying every update!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Thats very kind of you BDB! I know this isn't always exciting. Hoping to have some completed mockups here soon

Quote from: Pablo1965 on June 28, 2011, 03:20:26 PM
Wow! Shukoirizing the Grumman, It´s a cause of shock.  :blink: :blink: Half hour later... :blink: An hour later  :bow: :bow: :bow:

Glad you like it Pablo!! Means a lot!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: McColm on June 29, 2011, 02:55:40 AM
Wow!!
Thanks for the idea. :drink:

Of course!

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and this we should do freely and generously"

-Benjamin Franklin

"But whatever you do, don't forget to post pics on What If"

-George washington

"Beware of quotes you read on the internet"

-Thomas Jefferson

;D well the first one is real! The Sukhoi Tomcat was made for the Africa GB. I have had the idea of doing a flanker Tomcat (and a Taiidan one at that) for some time. although this was meant for more of a "real world" Look in this case, Making it Taiidan should be much more forgiving, as big gaps can be covered by big blocks and its always easier to make cubes than curvy things. In the second pic you can even see room for a big intake on the underside there! Or I could just connect it. Lots of options!! Always a good thing.

:cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

saintkatanalegacy

while the flankercat is still in the list...

you might want to draw inspiration from this:

have fun! :thumbsup:
Ivylicious!™

Taiidantomcat

^^ Now, That's a broadside!!  :o

:-\

<_<

In the top picture you can see the sketching/measuring for the attached piece in the bottom picture. The top piece from the top picture is on the foreground in the lower picture. for four days straight I built four versions and improvements of those pieces. I keep refining and getting them better, and I am getting closer to what I am looking for so that is great. I wish I could visualize better in 3D but it is not easy at all, especially since I am building on the piece already added on earlier. they are getting more and more intricate and I am still probably a few away still but this is the most complex part of the build, and If I get right its a big hurdle cleared.

:cheers:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

saintkatanalegacy

well, there's also its much bigger brother... in siege mode

but if you like interceptors...

and of course the fastest of them all
Ivylicious!™

Taiidantomcat

Very nice! The last picture looks like a killer dental tool  :thumbsup:

I am still working on spine pieces (about to do version 6 in a second) But I have been thinking of whats next, on the Warthog Tomcat. We all know what the A-10 is synonymous with (besides ugly) and its that huge cannon up front. I planned on using a Gatling Gun and attaching it to the front of the Tomcat with a squarish taiidan housing. Then I hit a bit of a paradox:

Thats the Taiidan scout^ The weakest ship of the whole game... and yet it has two, HUGE caliber (compare to the canopy size) Rotary cannons.

Now I plan on using an A-10 gun, just one and obviously small (for the Homeworld universe that is)

The Taiidan version fires rounds about the size of that guys head!... and yet its still incredibly weak.

^had to include this awesome new noseart  :wub:

So I am not sure what to do exactly. If I make a super rotary gun it would look almost comical on the F-14 nose. I could drop the gatling thing all together and just make it a good sized single barrel... any ideas? I Might just fall back on the "rule of cool" and just go with my original plan...

:unsure:

Taiidantomcat

And that isn't even all of them!!! The good news is they are done though!!  :party: :party: I have designs that I am happy with! I am hoping to put them into plastic tomorrow if there is time before work.

i also worked on the Sukhoi Tomcat today-- Need to make some major adjustments but I think I have it on the run. (hope to have pics when there is more to show)

Pablo1965

I see, the concept is clear, your work captures the spirit of the drawing.I begin to grasp the extent of your work.  :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow: :bow:

Taiidantomcat

Elite Digital?  ;D

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Pablo1965 on June 28, 2011, 01:28:14 AM
mountains of plastic

I love that phrase  :thumbsup:

Important update today! Picking between Mountains of Plastic. Shown below are the two options for the 1/32 Tomcat. They look similar but if you look closely there is a difference in shape and height. Note: the styrene bases the mountains are mounted to are the exact same for both models (but due to the limitations of scotch tape may be mounted differently)

A on the Left. B on the Right

A in the background. B in the foreground.

B^

A^

A^ (sorry for the blur)

B^

I am really hoping to get opinions on these and I may start a separate vote thread.

So...

A.) Lengthier look, or

B.) More Boxy look, or

C.) TT are you serious? :rolleyes: Is there is a difference? because I can't see it

Mossie

I prefer B, but I hadn't realised you were doing two.  Maybe go for both, slight variation between later & earlier types perhaps?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

saintkatanalegacy

Ivylicious!™

Taiidantomcat

saintkatanalegacy

Ivylicious!™

Taiidantomcat

While I normally don't give into SKLs demands, Luck was on her side and I was called by my boss and asked to come in later tonight, leaving the whole afternoon free for modeling!!  :party:

So I worked on the TaiiFlankerCat:

Moritz had the idea of adding MiG-29 gills for the Russian version of this and I think it is even more appropriate as I look at and its new leading edges do look Fulcrum-like, lots of room for them as well.

OTOH, The added plates do reach a little on the high side compared to the Flanker:

Now there is more than one way to skin a cat. Lower those bulkheads (the ones marked "1st" and "2nd") and fill in the gaps on the top piece thus lowering the additional pieces to be more like the above pic. And I might do exactly that for the more RW Soviet versions of FlankerCats that I have planned. The big bulky facets actually look Taiidan like to me.

Ok, so What do we think so far?

Mossie

D.) is looking good (nice call SKL)!

Don't get too hung up on looking like the Flanker, this is a TaiiFlankerCat & looks entirely accurate to my eyes!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.