C6Y1 Yamagumo ("Mountain Clouds")

Started by sequoiaranger, September 15, 2010, 12:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sequoiaranger

OK--here she is! The first pic shows a top-quarter view on an old display base I made. Note fake gun ports, single-seat, and four-bladed prop. The "N" on the cowl denotes the nitrous-oxide boost version of its German Daimler-Benz. She's a hot-rod!

Here is the heart of the matter-- The extra fuel tanks for range, the two camera ports (plus periscope port), and the air deflector to keep engine gunk from obscuring the lenses. There are German-style octane triangles splashed everywhere so no "inferior" fuel is involved. They say "100" on them. Though not so readily apparent here (see first photo), the "Suterusu" stealth, low-viz markings can be seen. Compare them to the earlier post today!

Here is the Yamagumo model ready to take off on its historic mission to brazenly scout Pearl Harbor ahead of the strike force.

And....here is a real Judy taken from an old newsreel, but altered to become a "Yamagumo"!  ;)  This is the photo that prompted my desire to model a long-range hot-rod recce--it had the fuselage recess for gas instead of bombs!

For anyone wanting the backstory, it's at:

http://www.combinedfleet.com/furashita/yamagu_f.htm

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

pyro-manic

Now that's a handsome beast! Very nice bit of work, SR. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

PACOPEPE

Very elegant model. I like much all you´ve put in the belly.

Exactly, what base colour have you used?

Regards
Fran

sideshowbob9

That is a stunner! It looks sooo much better with the single-seat canopy and the lo-viz markings are great.  :thumbsup:

sequoiaranger

Sotool, Paco, pyro, SSB9---thanks.

>Exactly, what base colour have you used?<

I mix most of my paints by hand and "eyeball" the color. I prefer regular enamels, but lacquers like Floquil sometime find their way onto my models, too. I dislike acrylics, but they are the future of paint.

The particular color on the Yamagumo is supposed to be "IJN-10"---the standard light gray used by the Japanese Navy. The real color is a slight green-gray, but not as light as the British "Sky Type S", for instance. The gray I used may be a little dark (for scale effect), but I started with it, liked it, and continued with it.

Here is a top-quarter view that shows off the nice "fighter" lines of the Yamagumo, and the "Suterusu" stealth low-viz markings. The scoop at the rear of the cockpit directs fresh air down just inside the air deflector to maintain airflow over the lenses. The black cowl makes it hard to see the radiator scoop underneath that gives the aircraft such a distinctive look. Note that the C6N Saiun recce plane that the Japanese actually used (and supplanted the "Judy" recce) was THE fastest aircraft used aboard Japanese carriers in WW II. When the first "Judy" recce plane came on board IJN carriers at the time of Midway, *IT* was Japan's fastest seagoing aircraft, some thirty MPH faster than the Zero. I wanted to take that concept to a higher level.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Pablo1965

Finally you got it, really is a wonderfull plane, The Imperial Navy can be proud of your creation. It look fast and strong and both things are unusual in the Japan  Navy.  :thumbsup: :cheers: :bow:

Taiidantomcat

Sorry I am so late to this one! Fine work!! I didn't realize you had finished it  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Stargazer

Oh wow! Just discovered the Yamagumo now and it's an absolute beauty!!!  :wub: :wub: :wub:
Not just the design, which I find excellent, but the build and finish too. Congratulations!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sequoiaranger

Taiid: >Sorry I am so late to this one! Fine work!! I didn't realize you had finished it<

SGazer: >Oh wow! Just discovered the Yamagumo now and it's an absolute beauty!!!<

Thanks, "fans"!

I do that too---somehow miss out on a good whif and discover it "later". There are enough talented builders here and posting activity that sometimes a good one "gets away". *ALWAYS* "better late than never".

FWIW, I have long ago forsaken the "multiple, half-finished builds" plague that sometimes hits us modelers. I tend to stick with something until it's DONE, come he!! or high water. I often measure, fiddle with, dry-fit, and research other whifs while completing one, but there is only one subject on my workbench at a time.

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: sequoiaranger on January 27, 2011, 09:08:08 AM

FWIW, I have long ago forsaken the "multiple, half-finished builds" plague that sometimes hits us modelers. I tend to stick with something until it's DONE, come he!! or high water. I often measure, fiddle with, dry-fit, and research other whifs while completing one, but there is only one subject on my workbench at a time.

That is a discipline I need to to acquire  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Stargazer

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on January 27, 2011, 11:57:17 AM
That is a discipline I need to to acquire  :thumbsup:

Well I guess there are different methods for different people. What works for sequoiaranger may not necessarily work for the rest of us... With digital whif art, I'm very much like that too, one project at a time. Only when the work is not satisfactory do I leave it aside to rework it later on... which doesn't happen too often fortunately. However, when it comes to plastic models, I have found that the 24-hour wait until the glue or the paint have dried is just unbearable!! Having several irons on the stove allows for the mind and hands to be occupied "while u wait", but of course when you have three or four models in the works, you need space, discipline and organization... (Thank God for digital art! LOL)