HMCS Coho, Canada's Secret Nuclear submarine fleet

Started by Alvis 3.14159, September 16, 2010, 09:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis 3.14159

Developed in great secrecy in the 1980s, the Coho Class of submarines were a revolutionary design in submarines. Designed to mimic the acoustical, sonar and visual look of a really really large salmon, the Coho class only saw action in one conflict, the 1990s Salmon War with Alaska. Deployed to interfere with the American fishing fleets, the Cohos would merely sail into the nets and drag the unsuspecting fishing boat down until it swamped. Any subs that were sighted were dismissed as drunken fishermen telling sea tales. The whole episode became so frustrating for the Alaskan based fishing fleets that they returned to the negotiation table and worked out the North Pacific Salmon Treaty with Canada. Not bad work for never having to fire a shot, eh?

Unfortunately, two years later, a Korean drift netter entangled HMCS Chinook, and videotaped it surfacing. The cat was out of the bag...reparations are still being paid by the Canadian Government to angry Alaskans.

Rec deck and torpedo room

Command deck, bunks

Communications, XO cabin

Closeup of the Command Deck

Illuminated Rec Deck. Note the vending machine...

Command Deck illuminated

Reactor under full power

I used the Skilcraft "Visible Trout" for this model. I "gutted it" and built a 1/72 interior. Sub crew came from various 1/72 scale soldier figures, many from the Airfix Luftwaffe ground crew set. I did raid a bit of stuff from a Revell U boat kit, but the vast majority was scratchbuilt. This was the second one of these I built, so i decided to light this one...I'm pretty awful with electricity, so it wasn't much fun. I also discovered that plastic fibre optics shatter when you usee Zap-A-Gap on them...something I didn't discover until I powered up a mostly completed model...only to have to rip out most of the upper deck to replace it all. I used epoxy glue the second time...no trouble then. Other lights were LEDs.

And then I gave it away! I almost never keep my best work for some weird reason.

Alvis Pi

Weaver

WHOA!  :blink:

That is exceptionally brilliant and nutty: the perfect combination! :thumbsup:

I love all the little details....... :wub:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

philp

I just love all the details.

Can't wait to see what insanity you are working on now.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PR19_Kit

OUTSTANDING!

Exceptional thinking and modelling, and the backstory is totally brilliant too, had me laughing like crazy.  :thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :cheers:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Kerrillc

I'm with you on that Kit, I've been sitting here with a really big wicked grin on my face! That is really surreal, I mean its like a plot line out of the Avengers (remember Patrick Macnee as the suave John Steed and Diana Rigg as the luscious Emma Peel).

MY EDIT: I think this should be nominated for the Most Unusual Vessel or the Back story Most Like An Avenger Plot, what do does everyone else think?

:thumbsup:

Kerrill
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

beowulf

thats brilliant..........one of the best things ive seen for ages and ages  :thumbsup:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Scooterman

Really?   :blink: A fecking Salmon Sub?    :blink: YGBSM!!!!!
YOU SIR, ROCK!  :bow:

buzzbomb

Well I am a stunned mullet.. this is just fantastic :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow: :bow:

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

anthonyp

Where's the "I'M NOT WORTHY" bowing emoticon?

Awesom, Al!!!  I really like the CO's quarters above and behind the "Caribou (?) Reactor Systems Inc" glowy reactor   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Scooterman

Alvis 3.14159

Actually, it's a Candu reactor...the print resolution is pretty crappy, taken back long agp with a pooorer quality camera, through curvy thick "clear" plastic as well.

here's a couple more pics with "better" detail.

Alvis pi

Cobra

Great Work,  Alvis :thumbsup: Why do i get the Feeling You Watched some Episodes of Stingray? Talk about 'Terror Fish' ;D Keep up the Great Work :thumbsup: :cheers: :cheers:Dan