P-65 ThunderCat

Started by Alvis 3.14159, September 16, 2010, 07:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis 3.14159

In a world where the P-51 never is built, in a world where the USAAF is able to man up and deal with using an naval aircraft, I came up with this monster!

I noticed one day that the P-47 and the Hellcat used the same engine and were similar in size and layout...what happened next was a natural progression. I took an Otaki 1/48 Hellcat and added some Academy 1/48th P-47 bits, like the canopy and drop tank, then added the decals as well. The checkerboard cowling sheet went on almost exactly, only missing a tiny bit across the bottom of the cowl. I cut down the rear decking on the fuselage to accomodate the P-47 bubble canopy, and used a basic ASAAF OD over grey scheme. It confused several American tourists at the local hobby shop!

Alvis Pi

Alvis 3.14159

I followed it up with the P-52 Corsair, in a Blue Nosed Mustang scheme. I discovered that an aluminum schemed Corsair is just plain ugly, and didn't take any individual pictures of it by itself.

Maybe, should i ever do it over, I'll do it OD over grey....

Alvis Pi

Pablo1965

Heaven! I make something similar with a Corsair.
Really it's a pain this plane don't be in flight.
Looks better than the both separated.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Logan Hartke

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on September 16, 2010, 07:33:04 PM
I followed it up with the P-52 Corsair, in a Blue Nosed Mustang scheme. I discovered that an aluminum schemed Corsair is just plain ugly, and didn't take any individual pictures of it by itself.

Don't do that!  Just give it a spinner.  I think one of the prettiest Corsair survivors is actually aluminum.

Cheers,

Logan

Alvis 3.14159

Ehhhhh..I dunno, there is something about a naked Corsair that isn't appealing to me. Weird huh?

Alvis pi

Logan Hartke

It's your model, make it so you like it.  I just like a bit of an unconventional appearance and was surprised at how much I liked the aluminum Corsair with spinner.

Cheers,

Logan

Alvis 3.14159

That's the primary reason I did it in the NMF finish, I was looking for an unusual look. I'll try a OD/Grey one mayhaps to see what that looks like as well. I gave the Corsair to  a friend and he dirtied it up a bit, adding exhaust stains and gun soot, and that helped it as well, so it might have been my monochromatic silver. If I'd done it as differing shades, that may have looked better, as it does on the racing Corsair.
I do like the spinner though..leans the shape out a bit.

Alvis pi

Captain Canada

confused several American

Haha...that goes without saying, doesn't it ?

:thumbsup:

Beauty, Alvis. Definately looks natural. I also have to agree with you on the n/m corsair argument....they just don't look right like that !

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

Two appear in short order (scroll down the home page a bit)

I really like this conversion of the Hellcat,  :bow: :bow: :bow:    I think I'll give one a go myself. 
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

tanktastic43

The Thundercat is a stunner. Well done.  :thumbsup:

tt43.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on September 17, 2010, 09:07:20 AMThat's the primary reason I did it in the NMF finish, I was looking for an unusual look. I'll try a OD/Grey one mayhaps to see what that looks like as well. I gave the Corsair to  a friend and he dirtied it up a bit, adding exhaust stains and gun soot, and that helped it as well, so it might have been my monochromatic silver. If I'd done it as differing shades, that may have looked better, as it does on the racing Corsair.
I do like the spinner though..leans the shape out a bit.

Alvis pi

May as well take it to the next level and add the propeller and spinner from the HobbyCraft Sea Fury.  That should increase the confusion factor even more.  Call it a compromise between Hawker and Vought or something.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

comrade harps

Devilishly deceptive that P-65  :wacko:
Whatever.

ChernayaAkula

Sweet job! :thumbsup: The Hellcat sure looks good that way!

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on September 17, 2010, 09:07:20 AM
<...> I'll try a OD/Grey one mayhaps to see what that looks like as well. <...>

Should you ever build an OD over grey Corsair, how about a Brazilian one? Like the T-Bolts they flew over Europe.
Strangely enough, I also think the NMF with blue nose doesn't work for a Corsair. Looks absolutely great and fitting on a Mustang, but strangely out of place on a Corsair. Couldn't say why, though. Odd.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?