He-162 W Sea Salamander

Started by Alvis 3.14159, September 18, 2010, 10:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis 3.14159

Faced with roving allied aircraft shooting up their airfields, the Luftwaffe tried many ways to disperse their planes. Heinkel, always up to the challenge of making a plane they weren't asked to make, modified their He-162 into a seaplane. With the planing hull overlapping where the guns normally would be mounted, two podded guns were added alongside the cockpit section, and lifting hooks were incorporated into the aircraft should the Kriegsmarine decide they wanted to have it as a ship-based plane (assuming the Kriegsmarine would exist any more as an ocean-going force was wild optimism on the part of the Heinkel designers, but hey...you never know, right?)
The already tested "V Tail" was the most logical choice, as it allowed clearance from any spray thrown up from the fuselage. Tip floats were added to ensure stability.

One test squadron was fielded, but a spring squall sank them all before they could be tested in combat.

Models used: Dragon he-162, float from an Airfix 1/72 Ju-52. The top of the float was cut off, the he-162 dropped right in like it was made for it. A small amount of putty and it was done! The gun  pods are from a something..maybe a Bf-109, I forget. I a, also not 100% sure, but I think the tip floats came from a Kingfisher, the old 1/48 Monogram kit. The water is a model railroad product, by Faller. It's a sheet of ripply plastic, that I painted clear blue and chopped out an opening in the shape of the He-162W.

Alvis Pi

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

tanktastic43

Tophe

Delicious! That explains the position above for the jet! :thumbsup: :lol:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Pablo1965

Oh! my God, this things make me feel jealous...Why did`t I think first?
Great!
Thanks :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Maverick

Brilliant stuff Alvis.  As always a joy to behold.

Regards,

Mav

dumaniac

oh yes - great idea - I just added to my to-do-list

what scale is this please

really nice

sandiego89

Great idea. Love anything that floats.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

comrade harps

Great idea nicely executed. The fuselage shape and the jet on top certainly make the He-162 a good candidate for the role.
Whatever.

beowulf

nice one......that works a treat  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

matrixone

Neat idea, with the V tail and engine placement the He 162 looks like it was designed from the start to be a seaplane!

Matrixone

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.