Steam Powered SBC-4

Started by Alvis 3.14159, September 18, 2010, 10:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvis 3.14159

Much has been written about the Curtiss-Wright SBC-4 helldiver, but little is known about the only steam powered aircraft used by any belligerent during WWII. This is that story.

Inventor Rory McTavish was obsessed with steam power. His great-grandfather had helped James Watt with some of the earliest steam engines, and he had steam in his blood (A medical condition usually fatal!) He had become obsessed with the idea of a steam powered aircraft sometime in the mid 1930s, and pestered the RAF for years to help him prove the technology. Once WWII started up in earnest, his interest became unquenchable, and he refused to let the RAF have a moment's peace. He was completely convinced he had the secret to cheap, powerful aircraft engines that were robust and could run off cheap and easy to get at coal...now if only the RAF would lend him a plane to prove it!

Oddly, the RAF seemed preoccupied with fighting the Luftwaffe at the time, and didn't have the time or energy to be bothered with McTavish, but fortunately for both, several Curtiss-Wright SBC-4s originally destined for France came into the possession of the RAF. Totally unsuited for combat, a quick thinking RAF supply clerk realised they could get rid of two problems in one go. Soon, a SBC-4 and Mister McTavish were off to the Orkney Islands for some Steam Powered Flight Research.

A minimal amount of money was sent to keep things moving, but not enough to actually lead to the completion of the project, but they hadn't counted on Rory's obsessive nature. He was also lucky in that an abandoned Arado 196 washed up near his research station, and thus he obtained a set of floats for his plane. Working feverishly around the clock, by November of 1940, he had converted the SBC-4 to steam power! Removing the R-1820 engine, he slightly extended the nose section with an annular boiler, fired by a pulverised coal burner located just in front of the pilot's seat. A geared drive turbine was attached to the standard propeller, and it was estimated that it would produce the equivalent of 1200 horsepower, or approximately 30% more than the R-1820. Success was achieved..but it was soon to be dashed.

The maiden flight of the Steam SBC-4 was to take place on December 19, 1940, but terrible weather kept things from happening until January 1, 1941. Nursing a terrific scotch hangover, Rory McTavish slipped the mooring ropes at 2:15 PM, and proceeded to begin his takeoff run. Whether he would have been able to achieve flight, or sustain it is not known, as he appeared to let the boiler pressure build up to an unacceptably high level, and with a tremendous detonation, the Steam Driven SBC-4, or as it is known in official RAF documents "Cleveland, Steamer, Mark One",  was destroyed. Thus ended the experimentation in the UK with steam driven aircraft for the rest of WWII.

Yes, i know it's a crappy story, but I can't produce gems all the time...wink wink. Anyhow...The kits used were all French, being as I used the Heller Cleveland kit, and the Heller Arado for the floats. Most decals were from the spares bin, with some lettering by the ole ink jet.

Alvis Pi

Tophe

Hehehe! I would love to hear the sound of this seaplane taking off! :lol:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Jeffry Fontaine

If you had gone with a Royal Navy theme you could have got away with painting the funnel gray :^)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Alvis 3.14159

Quote from: Tophe on September 19, 2010, 01:39:32 AM
Hehehe! I would love to hear the sound of this seaplane taking off! :lol:

Something like : Chuff chuff chuff chuff chuff whooossssshhh whooooosssshhh chuff chuff chuff WOOOO WOOOO whoosh shhoosh shwoosh splash splash cuff chufff....BOOOOOOM!

Alvis Pi

beowulf

haha...i like that... :thumbsup:....at least there would be plenty of hot water for a cup of tea  ;D
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Pablo1965

Beautifull plane, Amazing concept to the steampunk culture.
Great! :bow: :bow: :bow:

The Rat

Well you got away with it on ARC, let's see what happens here!  ;D :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2

I can just see that in the Victorian Navy's Black/White/Buff scheme  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

lancer

Interesting, but doesn't the funnel sort of odstruct the pilots forward view a tad??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Modelling_Mushi

Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Pablo1965

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 20, 2010, 10:17:06 AM
Hilarious, pity that Rory didn't read Popular Science and Scientific American. ;)

http://www.rexresearch.com/besler/beslerst.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6NFmcnW-8

The people forget his past, and be loughing with his science.
The  :cheers:Steampunk is our answer.

JayBee

Brilliant, absolutely Brilliant, both story and model. I honestly can not say which I think is best :thumbsup:

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: lancer on September 21, 2010, 02:36:28 PM
Interesting, but doesn't the funnel sort of odstruct the pilots forward view a tad??

Pilots are an unfortunate side effect of aviation.   ;D

Great work as always Alvis  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.