Estate/staion wagons of saloons, hatchbacks and convertibles

Started by McColm, September 19, 2010, 05:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

OOO! That makes my name a nautical reference! That'll teach all those who immediately think of jelly!
BTW, australia also uses the term Fender - we have an interesting habbit of picking and choosing the terams we use from both the US and UK.

And on the subject of shooting brakes (sort of), various super-luxury coach built jobs exist for the use of Arabian potentates out hunting - one of them (not sure who owns if, but I'm fairly sure Sbarro of Switzerland built it) has a rear seat which can rise magestically through the roof to allow for falconing!
And people said James Bond's cars were over the top...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

sotoolslinger

Hey y'all my last hotrod before carburators went out was a '74 Pontiac Ventura (a Nova with the cool Pontiac front end) I once saw a drag race pic from New Zealand and realized that y'all got the same car as an El Camino/ Ranchero 2 seater with a pickup bed.
Anyone make a model of that?
Or actually own the vehicle?
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

anthonyp

Quote from: puddingwrestler on September 29, 2010, 05:22:44 PM
OOO! That makes my name a nautical reference! That'll teach all those who immediately think of jelly!

I think of Bill Cosby and Jell-O brand pudding...

Bill Cosby in one of his more tame commercials
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

PR19_Kit

Quote from: puddingwrestler on September 29, 2010, 05:22:44 PM
And on the subject of shooting brakes (sort of), various super-luxury coach built jobs exist for the use of Arabian potentates out hunting - one of them (not sure who owns if, but I'm fairly sure Sbarro of Switzerland built it) has a rear seat which can rise magestically through the roof to allow for falconing!
And people said James Bond's cars were over the top...

When I was working at the old Rolls-Royce factory in Crewe some 15 yrs ago, now owned by Bentley of course, their John Young special vehicles operation on the west side was making a batch of the last BMW V12 engined saloons that had been converted to estates and they had that elevating rear seat business too. At least some of them did, and the rear window was covered in too for some reason. They were bound for the Middle East but no-one would tell us where.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

puddingwrestler

Quote from: sotoolslinger on September 29, 2010, 05:41:57 PM
Hey y'all my last hotrod before carburators went out was a '74 Pontiac Ventura (a Nova with the cool Pontiac front end) I once saw a drag race pic from New Zealand and realized that y'all got the same car as an El Camino/ Ranchero 2 seater with a pickup bed.
Anyone make a model of that?
Or actually own the vehicle?

NZ gets the same cars as Aus, and I've not seen such a machine. It's possible you are thinking of the indigenous Holden Ute in one of it's numerous forms... There;s always been a lot of parts interchangablity with holdens so it might have been wearing a different grille or something - a lot of custom companies produced American style grilles and front clips for holdens back in the day.

A Holden Kingswood Ute.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

McColm

A company called Lynx modified the Jaguar XJS over in the UK.
Crayford Engineering carried out conversion work on the ford cortina, capri MKI, Austin Princess and TR7.

Hobbes

Quote from: McColm on October 04, 2010, 08:47:42 AM

You'll notice the photo of a Lynx Eventer on the first page of this topic... ;D

McColm

Yes, I've always wanted one.
I'll have to dig out my 1/24 kit and have a go at building one. :thumbsup:

Hobbes

What a coincidence: I've got one lying around for the same purpose.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on October 04, 2010, 08:47:42 AM
Crayford Engineering carried out conversion work on the ford cortina, capri MKI, Austin Princess and TR7.

Austin-Rover themselves built a sort of TR7 estate in the mid 80s, and oddly it was called the Lynx too, but that only a code name, and it never did go into production. AFAIK they made three of them, and one may still exist, somewhere in the Gaydon collection possibly.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

McColm

Rover built two prototype SDI estates. The chairman used them as his daily runner.
was there ever any plastic kit models of the Rover SDI?

Hobbes

There is a resin body meant for use on slot cars, don't know what scale this is. Apparently Heller did a 1/43 model once.

There's a list, that includes diecasts as well.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on October 05, 2010, 02:54:05 AM
Rover built two prototype SDI estates. The chairman used them as his daily runner.
was there ever any plastic kit models of the Rover SDI?

...and there were two Rover 3 litre Estates too, based on the P5 saloon. In fact I helped build one of them.  ;D

The bodies were made at Pressed Steel's Experimental Dept. but the R&D Dept. where I worked, finished off the second one as our Chairman was going to have it for his company car. Because there was no rear seat bulkhead they both had lots of reinforcement added to maintain the torsional stiffness and weighed a ton as a result.

I don't think anyone's done a kit of a P5 either, but it was hardly a landmark vehicle.

Regards
Kit

McColm

Rover also allowed FLM Panelcraft to create the P6 estate, 160 examples were built.
Crayford built their own version of the Lynx, known as the Broadside or the crayford TR7 tracer.
You can see more pictures on the Austin Rover Online site or ARO.

Mike Wren

Quote from: McColm on October 05, 2010, 07:18:16 AM
Rover also allowed FLM Panelcraft to create the P6 estate, 160 examples were built.
Crayford built their own version of the Lynx, known as the Broadside or the crayford TR7 tracer.
You can see more pictures on the Austin Rover Online site or ARO.

http://www.aronline.co.uk/ is the link for the superb Austin Rover site, I've got some Corgi 1/43 diecast SD1s that beg to be turned into an estate...