Yakovlev Yak.24 'Horse'

Started by TsrJoe, September 22, 2010, 05:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

Quote from: Maverick on October 01, 2010, 02:37:57 AM
I think it's a T-34/85 on closer inspection with the larger turret, although that's naturally to the rear.

I think that it is indeed meant to be a T-34.

This project is included in "OKB Yakovlev" by Yefim Gordon, D. Komissarov & S. Komissarov, where it is referred to as the Yak-32, and an artist's impression shows it carrying what is captioned as a T-34 as an underslung load.

As regards its capability, it was apparently intended to have a load carrying capacity of 40 tonnes and was also intended to transport three infantry fighting vehicles plus their troops.

Sadly, the proposal failed to gain acceptance from the Soviet military and, apparently, no detail design work was undertaken.

TsrJoe

cool, i hadnt seen the model pic before, many thanks
just looking at the tank shown, the one in the first drawing does look to be a T.34/85 but the one in the artists impression looks to be a T.44 or very early T.54 type, a rare type in itself, im thinking the ones shown internally may be early BTR.50 type vehicles?
:cheers:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Maverick

Joe,

Definitely agree with the BTR-50 suggestion.  The other is a bit generic IMO, but given the timeframe I think T-44 might be the best guess.  The turret looks like it has an angle in the centre, which would preclude the T-54 with its smoother shell.

Regards,

Mav

Weaver

Just realised what the nose glazing reminds me of - Horsa glider. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Chris,

A T-70 series light tank would be the logical choice to be sure.  That being said, I think it's a T-34/85 on closer inspection with the larger turret, although that's naturally to the rear.  Whether the beastie could hang an actual MBT rather than a light tank is debatable I guess, depending on how tough the helo was supposed to be.

Regards,

Mav

Given it's a "sketch" you are probably right Mav  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Geoff

....., depending on how tough the helo was supposed to be.
Mav

Umm, it's Russian.