ZELL Mystery Ship Idea

Started by Cobra, September 24, 2010, 10:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, What if a ZELL Equiped 'Mystery Ship' were Built by The Russians,Etc.? my Thought was Something that Looked like a Supertank or Freighter type Ship that Suddenly Revealed 3 sets of Launchers with Fighters,Attack Aircraft,and Bombers Ready to Attack. What Say You? Thanks for looking.Dan

KJ_Lesnick

Cobra,

Well, battleships in the old days usually did carry a few small aircraft.  This would be a modern version of the same concept
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

PR19_Kit

That'd be a stelath version of the Arapaho idea I guess. Think 'Atlantic Conveyor' with a roof over the aircraft deck.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

dy031101

I was thinking of a scaled-up version of missile-destroyer-like ship, with positions previously occupied by SAM launchers now having trainable multiple catapult launcher for modified CTOL fighters (expendable upon end of mission).  ;D
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

PR19_Kit

But how do you recover the ZELL launched aircraft? Or are they 'expendable', like the CAM ship Hurricanes?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Weaver

RATOVL, i.e. a "Harrier" with a ZELL rocket? Gets around the takeoff weight limit of vectored-thrust VTO, but still allows a vertical landing.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on November 10, 2010, 10:46:34 AM
RATOVL, i.e. a "Harrier" with a ZELL rocket? Gets around the takeoff weight limit of vectored-thrust VTO, but still allows a vertical landing.

That'd work, yes. You should try selling that idea to the RAF and FAA.....

Ah no, they haven't got any Harriers left any more. :banghead:

Regards
Kit

KJ_Lesnick

PR-19 Kit,

That's exactly the problem.  Unless the ship was close to shore, there was a carrier nearby, or those aircraft were seaplanes, you'd be in serious trouble, and if they were seaplanes, you'd just put them in the water and let 'em rip.
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Cobra

i was thinking a Combo of VTOL & Sea Dart Type Aircraft for Fight and Attack Roles,with Something like a Sea Master for Bomber Duty! What Say You? Dan

jcf

Submarine aircraft carriers seem to fit your notion:

Lots of info available here:
http://www.up-ship.com/eAPR/ev1n6.htm

Weaver

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on November 10, 2010, 11:56:27 AM
PR-19 Kit,

That's exactly the problem.  Unless the ship was close to shore, there was a carrier nearby, or those aircraft were seaplanes, you'd be in serious trouble, and if they were seaplanes, you'd just put them in the water and let 'em rip.

Then again, for seaplanes, rocket launching from a ship would have a much shorter reaction time than craning a seaplane into the water, particularly in bad weather. Recovery is still an issue though.

Another issue with all these is the supply of launch rockets. The original ZELL proposal was for one-and-only-shot tactical nuclear strike aircraft, but for a carrier you'd be looking at sustained operations. That's a LOT of boosters, and they arn't small......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

thesolitarycyclist

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/david-mace/fire-lance.htm

Check out this book. The ship in the book is the USS Vindicator which has catapult launched supersonic fighters and helicopters if my memory is correct and the back story is set post nuclear exchange between the US and Soviet Union.

lenny100

Quote from: thesolitarycyclist on November 11, 2010, 03:37:30 AM
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/david-mace/fire-lance.htm

Check out this book. The ship in the book is the USS Vindicator which has catapult launched supersonic fighters and helicopters if my memory is correct and the back story is set post nuclear exchange between the US and Soviet Union.
been looking for that book since 1989 but couldnt ever remember the title, thanks now got a copy on order
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Mossie

The US Navy had ideas on ZELL, one of them was to launch an aircraft then recover it by flying it onto a trapeze at a high angle of attack.  The aircraft were often 'nutcrackers', that is the cockpit section pivoted to give better visibility.  You could use this kind of system on a 'mystery' ship, have modified cargo sections on the ship to hold the aircraft.  When needed, a lid opens & a rail pivots to launch the aircraft.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.