RNZAF Marking request

Started by coops213, September 27, 2010, 03:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coops213

Does anyone know where I can find a high to medium resolution version of this

for 2sqn (RNZAF)? From what I can tell, it's nearly the same but has what looks like a frog on the centre instead.

Cheers,

Chris

jynx

Try Richard Chafer (Gekko).  He make some really nice RNZAF markings.  He is on here and Britmodeller. :cheers:

Maverick

Chris,

Richard is a great source.  The one you have there is for 75 Sqn.  The symbol in the centre is a Māori hei-tiki.  2 Sqn's badge is a winged spear.  If you can't get hold of Richard, give us a PM as I have both squadrons' badges from Richard.

HTH,

coops213

Thanks guys, I'll try giving Richard a yell.

Maverick, I was aware of the 2sqn winged spear. I've drawn that badge as well as the one I posted above. I'm after the badge that appears on the intake of the first jet here:
http://cybermodeler.com/hobby/decals/gg/images/gg_48001_p1.jpg

Turns out those decals are by Richard too!

Thanks for your help guys.

Chris

Maverick

Chris,

Definitely haven't seen that one before.  The resolution is a bit iffy but it definitely doesn't look like the 75 badge.  Let us know how you go with it.

Regards,

Mav

jynx

I have that decal sheet.  Here is the explanation for that marking as quoted from the instructions:

"This Kahu carries "modified" No. 75 markings on its intake sides.  Due to the ever-present rivalry between 75 and 2 squadrons certain "improvements" were made to the squadron Markings.  In this case 75 Squadron's Tiki has been "modified" to include breasts, wellington boots, frog-like hands and a Talaha (long club) through the guts!  These markings would have only been on the Skyhawk for a short time.  Once spotted upon its arrival back at Ohakea in New Zealand the "modified" markings would have quickly been painted over!" 

I hope this helps.  Gekko's decals are first rate and have good background for each marking.  Very well researched. :cheers:

coops213

Thanks for the info! I was snooping around for references and came across this pic on Motty's website:

The badge looks quite different to the 75sqn, with different patterns and colours. Though the pic isn't good enough to make out what's in the middle.

Chris