RN/RAF Prowler MK2 project

Started by McColm, October 07, 2010, 09:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
I know you've covered the EA-6B Prowler. I've checked, but what if the M.O.D. had bought them, under licence and modified them.

By stripping out the electronic warfare equipment and using the Intruder tail, a four seater bomber could be built.

I'm not sure if the Prowler MK2 could land on any of the British aircraft carriers in service at that time, but the Fleet Air Arm would have loved it. Could have replaced the Gannet.

An ASW version would be the next project, something on the lines of the Viking. Maybe an M.A.D. boom attached to the tail, internal weapons bay and sonobouy launcher in the rear fuselage. A larger wing or a fuselage stretch to the rear.

I might even try a six seater civil passenger concoction.

PR19_Kit

You could merge two noses and make an eight seater.......  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 07, 2010, 11:17:49 AM
What, as a Dominie/125 replacement? :rolleyes:
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

jcf

Quote from: McColm on October 07, 2010, 09:44:07 AM

By stripping out the electronic warfare equipment and using the Intruder tail, a four seater bomber could be built.

Why? What would the two extra crew actually do? Aside from reduce the weapons load, that is.

Silver Fox

Replace the BN with a real copilot and put offensive and defensive systems officers in the back?

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 07, 2010, 11:17:49 AM
That would be freaky, unless you stuck the two fuselages together, used a lot of filler for the gaps. a twin fin or V-tail at the rear. A spare cockpit/front-end would be needed for the 2 pilots. the undercarriage could be reworked twin or boogie.
:cheers:

McColm

Quote from: Silver Fox on October 07, 2010, 10:36:59 PM
Replace the BN with a real copilot and put offensive and defensive systems officers in the back?
that's what I was thinking! :bow:

Maverick

Some time ago, I did a profile of an EA-6B as an ASW bird.  You can find it in my Photobucket account

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s101/Maverick65au/

Regards,

Mav

McColm

There's 125 pages!!
Found them on Mavericks Thread May 28 2010 01:53:53AM.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Maverick

Nps McColm,

I'm surprised I've left them there as I tend to trim down my thread to keep it from getting too big.  To be honest, I'm not too sure on the search engine of photobucket, so here's the USN version.

Regards,

Mav

McColm

Quote from: Maverick on October 08, 2010, 03:26:17 AM
Nps McColm,

I'm surprised I've left them there as I tend to trim down my thread to keep it from getting too big.  To be honest, I'm not too sure on the search engine of photobucket, so here's the USN version.

Regards,

Mav
Many thanks Mav :thumbsup:

McColm

I could extend the spine and add conformal tanks, or change the wings to a delta configuration. Fly-by-wire would cope with the extra weight and reprofile. Could also square up the air intakes as on the F-22 and use the same wings. The possibilities are endless...

Weaver

Suppose that, in a parallel universe, the US was less committed to putting it's own forces into Europe, but was more into supplying hardware at a subsidised cost for us to operate? You might then imagine the RAF buying Prowlers for land-based EW and/or SEAD missions.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

FRADU used the Canberra for EW and the RAF used the T 17. Both were replaced by the Dassault Falcon for EW training.