YF-115 by ysi_maniac

Started by ysi_maniac, October 08, 2010, 06:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeiichiRX7

Some silliness, aimed at getting the little bird some additional BVR capability.

Can anyone tell me whether the AIM-7 when carried conformally would fall far enough away to prevent exhaust ingestion?

PR19_Kit

Why not?

They don't have to power themselves off the launch aircraft, they could be ejected like an underwing store, and then the motor could start when clear of the airframe.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

KeiichiRX7

I figured as much.  as far as i know the AIM-9 doesn't have that option, btu i knew the AIM-7 dropped itself away from the F-4 before igniting the rocket.  Its a slightly silly configuration for carrying an extra AAM, but its a great place to put an extra flare pod, and an interesting place to get away with stowing an extra bomb.

perttime

I like pretty light fighters  :lol:

This one reminds me of the Taiwanese AIDC F-CK-1 Ching-kuo

KeiichiRX7

Maybe I should just go with a sparrow on the centerline and skip the optional.  I've got no idea how well that would work.

This is actually one of a few in the IGF competition.  I'll made sure to prod Bombcat to come over here and take a little pride in his more recent and similarly diminuitive, creation.  I did some armament work on it today, just putting together a notional arrangement.  Would be awesome to see a reverse of what happened with YF-115 happen with Robin, but I won't hold my breath.

Supertom

"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

KJ_Lesnick

You know if you removed the twin engines, replaced it with a single large engine, re-designed the ducts to feed the single engine and used a chine shelf to a wide-flat rear-fuselage that would be a really remarkable design
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

KeiichiRX7

doodles to shwo what that might look like?  we did consider doing a single engine variant tigershark style.

The 3d flying model is largely finalized though, until a new version of the sim comes out that allows me to do more tinkering.