Just for fun Part 2: Monogram T-28 1:48

Started by John Howling Mouse, October 16, 2010, 07:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Diamond

This looks interesting, and I've always been a fan of the older Monogram kits, so I'll be watching this thread.
Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

John Howling Mouse

Topcoat is on.  It is a very light tan/sand/grey hue.  But it will look different on each monitor.

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Gave the raised rivets a light sanding to bring out their details.  Nice, effortless effect.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: pyro-manic on December 26, 2010, 05:02:03 AM
I spy camouflage!

Whoops!  Sometimes the military censors on the Isle of Ket slip up.   :rolleyes:

bobbo

I just realized that this was the first model I (mostly with help from my dad, thanks, Dad!) Way back When . . . About the time it was introduced. 

bobbo

John Howling Mouse

Okay, I'll finish uploading the in progress pics now even though they will sort of ruin the surprise of the full effect later but here goes (I'm such a tease as this baby is now done!):

John Howling Mouse

Some close ups for better or worse.  Now you'll see the famed "Thorn Camo" scheme worn by many Isle of Ket (TM) aircraft:

John Howling Mouse

How the paint got there.  After Krylon sandable grey spraycan primer, I painted the overall model in Testors Acryl Camo (see above pics).  Then I masked off the bottom and, using some poster tac sausages, I applied a home-mixed tan to the topsides.  A slightly feathered edge was achieved. 

Next came the initial pale grey broad strips (another home-mixed color).

Last was the actual "thorn" pattern, painted again by hand (brush) using another custom-mixed Acryl color:

John Howling Mouse

Go back up there to see the last of the in-progress pics...   :thumbsup:

The "Isle of Ket" is actually a collection of densely populated, heavily industrialized islands near Taiwan.  Having been required throughout history to defend itself from both Japanese and Chinese forces, the Ket nation always had a strong military and, during the 20th Century, developed a very advanced aeronautics industry, often with assistance from Taiwan and the West.

You may recall an earlier AT-3 Tzu Chiang I made with Isle of Ket insignia using a unique "Fontaine Camo" scheme which I developed from an idea by our own Jeffry Fontaine.

Well, here is the Ketanese variant of a T-28 trainer, modified to carry a little bit of firepower and sporting the famed "Thorn Camouflage" the Ketanese like so much:

John Howling Mouse

And here are the two trainer/COIN birds together.  You can practically feel the oppressive, humid heat rising from the tarmac....thanks to Corel photo-editing software.  In reality, when I took these pics, it was minus 22 Celsius and my camera started to freeze up and the models became noticeably brittle in the cold.
Every now and then, the wind would make one of the models slide across my scale diorama tarmac and I'd wonder for a second why the subject was moving out of the viewfinder!

There, now I've still got one more model to finish up and show you by the end of 2010 (I've got 8 hr and 5 min to go).

ChernayaAkula

Fantastic in just about every way imaginable!  :bow:  :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

pyro-manic

WOW!!! :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub: Consider that camouflage well and truly pilfered and plagiarised! I knew it was going to be good from your little slip-up previously, but that is just superb. :worship:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

beowulf

awesome.............cant decide which of those two i like the most  :wub: :wub: :wub:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Ed S

SUPER!!!   Great camo.  You did a masterfull job with the paint brush.   :thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.