Main Menu

Harrier GR9 Build?

Started by Hman, October 19, 2010, 01:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hman

If they are going to be scrapped next year, how about a GR9 based build, assuming that some of them will sold on.

Who would the potential buyers be? :unsure:
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

sandiego89

Spain and Italy would be most likely - whole lot cheaper than the JSF.  India a possibility for Sea Harrier replacement - but they seem intent on the MiG-29 and the old ruskie carrier-if you belieive that ever gets really operational.  Lack of radar will hurt most deals. 

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Taiidantomcat

I would be in!! but I would think it should be a little more broad than just the GR9. All versions of Harrier should be allowed. From the prototypes to the most advanced versions  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Hman

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on October 19, 2010, 03:27:00 PM
I would be in!! but I would think it should be a little more broad than just the GR9. All versions of Harrier should be allowed. From the prototypes to the most advanced versions  :thumbsup:

That works for me - I have a P1127 in my stash!
"Lusaka Tower, this is Green Leader..."

Hobbes

How about an 'out to pasture/firesale' build featuring all of the recent redundancies from HM armed forces: Tornado, Harrier, Nimrod, Sentinel.

GTX

I might be in for this since I have been contemplating a GR.9 idea for a while now.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

How about the Falkland Islands government gets rich from oil revenues, loses confidence in London's commitment to it's defence, and decides to buy it's own fleet of 2nd hand Tornado F.3s, Harrier GR.9s and Nimrods?  (They already have their own Territorials-style defence force and a Do228) ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Hobbes

NATO might be a good place for some of the RAF's strategic assets (Sentinel, Nimrod). The Sentinels could replace some of the planned RQ-4B buy for the AGS program.

Army of One

Weaver!!! Great idea......I been working on something similar re Malta......and SHAR2's were the order....!!! Oh sweet joy!!! A direction for that very cheap Revel (Hasegawa??) boxing in 1/48 I bought coz it was cheap......GR7 I think.....Maltese Air Defence Force......YES!!!!!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Mossie

Open it up to a Harrier build in general?  I've had a clamouring to build an Iranian SHAR for some time now.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Taiidantomcat

What advanced harriers might look like  ;)

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Army of One

Mr TT....you got any other views of the 'Harrier' on the bottom of the two pics..? 
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

thedarkmaster

Quoteassuming that some of them will sold on.

Who would the potential buyers be

If you want one mate they are going for around £20,000 to £30,000 depending on condition, no engines and no avionics in that !!!!

the RAF now will not sell to museums, only one of each type will be saved to museums the rest are sold via a broker in the UK.....we were offered a harrier and a Tornado f3 for £1 each until this policy came out but now we have to pay the market cost for the aircraft.
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Army of One on October 27, 2010, 09:42:15 AM
Mr TT....you got any other views of the 'Harrier' on the bottom of the two pics..?  

I dont think you will have much luck. I believe it was some concept art from this video (Click on STORMBIRDS):

http://www.realtimeuk.com/work/games/list

They seem to have changed the design for the video.  :-\

Army of One

Many thanks.....liked the pic...although the twin nozzles look....funny,with the tail.....dunno,sort of...out of perspective or they sideways swivelling....? Still a nice pic......H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!